Hi Shawn and many thanks for sharing the preview, which I'm hugely enjoying on my commute.
Hi Shawn and many thanks for sharing the preview, which I'm hugely enjoying on my commute. I'm sure the game will make more sense in actual play, so my questions are only based 'off the page'.
P.15 "There are three moves which utilize progress tracks to measure your pace and determine the outcome of a goal or challenge."
Beneath this section four moves are listed. Is it these four rather than three?
It also says: "When you make these moves, you’ll add the number of progress boxes you’ve filled instead of adding a stat."
On p.53 for Progress Moves: "When you make these moves, you’ll use your progress score instead of rolling your action die. "
It would be good to align the text from p.15 and p.53. I assume it should be - only use your progress to determine your action score (or some such?).
Also the text for the four progress moves are different on the two pages:
p.15 End the Fight (page 77), When you Reach your Destination (page 63), When you Fulfill your Vow (page 96), When you Write your Epilogue (page 72)
p.53 There are four progress moves: Undertake a Journey (page 60), End the
Fight (page 77), Fulfill your Vow (page 96), and Write your Epilogue (page
72).
Actually as I type this I wonder if I have more fundamentally misunderstood something! Help? :)
P.15 "There are three moves which utilize progress tracks to measure your pace and determine the outcome of a goal or challenge."
Beneath this section four moves are listed. Is it these four rather than three?
It also says: "When you make these moves, you’ll add the number of progress boxes you’ve filled instead of adding a stat."
On p.53 for Progress Moves: "When you make these moves, you’ll use your progress score instead of rolling your action die. "
It would be good to align the text from p.15 and p.53. I assume it should be - only use your progress to determine your action score (or some such?).
Also the text for the four progress moves are different on the two pages:
p.15 End the Fight (page 77), When you Reach your Destination (page 63), When you Fulfill your Vow (page 96), When you Write your Epilogue (page 72)
p.53 There are four progress moves: Undertake a Journey (page 60), End the
Fight (page 77), Fulfill your Vow (page 96), and Write your Epilogue (page
72).
Actually as I type this I wonder if I have more fundamentally misunderstood something! Help? :)
Blargh! Thanks Graham Spearing. Can you tell that progress tracks and progress moves underwent some heavy changes not too long ago? I thought I went back and cleaned up the mess, but apparently not as much as I imagined.
ReplyDeleteWrite your Epilogue was a late arrival to the move party, and the action die was once (but no longer) a part of progress rolls.
Hopefully you've generally got the right of it. When you make a progress move, you don't roll an action die. You take your progress score (filled boxes), and compare to the challenge dice.
I shall tidy those things up forthwith! I apologize for the head-scratching awkward bits. A solid edit pass is coming once I square up Chapter 7, but some of these things are easy for both me and my editor to miss, so I appreciate the call-out.
Shawn Tomkin Thanks for the quick response. We can all do a 'post edit' sanity pass once you are ready. I'm tucking into some more of the game now. :)
ReplyDelete