Hello guys!
Hello guys! I'm new here in the community and a few days ago I found Ironsworn in the community of the Freebooters on the Frontiers 2th. I downloaded the Ironsworn, set up my character and embarked on my first adventure in a solo RPG. I was amazed! I was like John Risus, writing the tales of my adventures all night long. It really was a great discovery the world of solo rpg games and having the opportunity to start with the ironsworn was an amazing surprise.
While I was playing my adventure, a question arose that I could not find an answer in the book or here. Is it possible to achieve a progress milestone in more than one vow at a time? I have two vows that are directly related and for now I am treating as if this were possible. What would be the official response?
Ps: Sorry for my english. Its not my mother language
While I was playing my adventure, a question arose that I could not find an answer in the book or here. Is it possible to achieve a progress milestone in more than one vow at a time? I have two vows that are directly related and for now I am treating as if this were possible. What would be the official response?
Ps: Sorry for my english. Its not my mother language
Hi, José Gilberto Olimpio Bezerra Júnior! Thrilled to have you trying out Ironsworn. Thank you so much.
ReplyDeleteRegarding multiple, related quests, it's certainly possible to make progress on multiple vows. Typically, however, I find myself using what I call "nested quests".
For example, someone I care about, let's call her Brynn, is deathly ill, and I've sworn a vow to see see her healed. Let's call that vow "Find a cure for Brynn". We'll say it's a formidable vow.
As part of that quest, I learned about a talented herbalist who lives in the forests of the Deep Wilds. I seek her out (and I've probably marked a few progress boxes along the way). But, when I finally find the herbalist, she wants something in exchange for the cure. Let's say there is a pack of Harrow Spiders which have been giving her trouble. She makes me swear to do something about it.
So, now I Swear an Iron Vow to "Rid the herbalist of the Harrow Spiders".
I now have a new quest. I'd probably mark that as a troublesome quest, or dangerous at most.
So, now I'll go about dealing with the spiders. As I hit milestones on that quest I'll mark progress, but I won't also mark progress on the "Find a cure for Brynn" vow at the same time. Instead, I'll wait until I fulfill the vow to the herbalist. Once that is done, I'd consider that a good milestone for my main quest.
This is what I mean by a nested vow. The "child" vow becomes your focus, so you mark progress on that vow. Fulfilling it can be considered a milestone for your "parent" vow.
In the end it's up to you, and progress tracks are a pacing mechanism, but I find that method works pretty well. Sometimes when you are on a quest you'll find yourself sidetracked by some unrelated vow. Other times, you need to swear a new vow to make progress on your main quest.
One important caveat: not everything should be an Ironsworn vow. Ideally, a vow should be meaningful to your character. In the example above, the herbalist forces the vow as a promise. Otherwise, I'd just go kill the damn giant spiders and mark progress on my main quest. It's kind of tempting to go around swearing on iron for every little thing (Experience Points!!), but it makes it more dramatic to save it for the things that matter.
I hope that makes sense! Let me know if not. I'll have a discussion on this in the upcoming Chapter 7.
(and your English is probably better than my own)
Bom demais ver outro brasileiro por aqui! As vezes me sinto totalmente alienígena quando o assunto é solo RPG...em nosso país, a galera de maneira geral não consegue sacar qual é a nossa...
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin Thanks for the answer! I was practically doing something very close to what you described. Makes a lot more sense when dealing with connected vows. As soon as I have time available, I intend to do a review on my blog and spread this wonderful game to the people of Brazil.
ReplyDeleteTarcisio Lucas Eu me incluía nesse grupo que não entendia muito bem os prazeres do RPG solo. Até que bati os olhos no Ironsworn e nos relatos de jogo da galera. Entrei de cabeça!
ReplyDeleteGlad you found it, but watch out it can be truly addictive!! I'd get lost in it for hours! Thankfully or not, real life raised it's wicked head and staunched it... For a bit anyway. 😉
ReplyDeleteTarcisio Lucas Fala Tarcisio, assim como você e o José Gilberto Olimpio Bezerra Júnior eu também sou brasileiro e me preparo para começar o meu jogo solo. Seria muito legal dividirmos nossas impressões e experiências com o Ironsworn. Podemos manter um contato?
ReplyDeleteRodrigo Marini Bem vindo! Cara, que bacana! Vamos sim manter contato e trocar experiencia! iquei muito feliz quando o José apareceu por aqui, e agora ainda mais, Rodrigo! Conheci o solo RPG há cerca de 3 anos, com o Mythic, e nunca encontrei niguèm com quem eu pudesse sequer conversar sobre isso por aqui! Tem alguns sistemas solos voltado para uma ambientação medieval - como o Bivius Tunnels & Dragons, excelente - mas realmente IRonsworn é aquele que mais dá posssibilidades, além de ter uma mecânica de jogo fantástica!
ReplyDeleteRodrigo Marini Tenho um canal no youtube em que falo de solo RPG. Ainda não falei do Ironsworn , mas está na lista!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKeV0aOCtkM
ReplyDeleteyoutube.com - Como jogar RPG de mesa sozinho - Parte 1
Tarcisio Lucas e Rodrigo. Vamos sim trocar umas ideias. Adiciona pelo G+. Podíamos até fazer um co-op via google docs ou um hangout. O que acham?
ReplyDeleteTarcisio Lucas Opa, que legal. Vou acompanhar lá com certeza.
ReplyDeleteGilberto Olimpio Poxa José, é uma ideia fantástica. Estou preparando o meu jogo no Medium. Pronto com certeza compartilho com vocês.
ReplyDelete