Hey Shawn, How did you come up with this?

Hey Shawn, How did you come up with this?
Played with the additions from delve, and it's a fun game.
I noted that on some occasions, applying certain things to the numerical aspect is a little tricky (Like using secure an advantage to prepare lockpicks, you wouldn't think of that as securing an advantage, you'd think of that as using an advantage you already have- anyway.)
All in all, fun.

Comments

  1. Hi there Blue Food! The thing to consider with lockpicks is how they impact the moves you make or avoid. Without lockpicks, you can't really pick a lock. The equipment is giving you narrative permission to take that approach. If you didn't have those lockpicks, you'd have to figure out some other way to get through the door.

    Next, you'd consider whether picking the lock requires a move. Is there a chance of failure or complication? If you're not under any particular time pressure, and your character knows what they are doing with a lockpick, this may be a relatively mundane activity that doesn't trigger a move. This is much like the example in the book of how scaling a cliff with rope (versus climbing it by hand) allows you to skip a move entirely.

    I would use Secure an Advantage more for actions like "I'm going to sit in hiding and watch the guards for a bit, so that I can understand their patrol patterns and make sure I'm not spotted when picking the lock."

    You can consider getting your lockpicks ready much the same as if you are drawing a sword in a fight. The act of readying your equipment probably doesn't trigger Secure an Advantage -- rather, it enables or lets you avoid other moves. In the case of a sword, you can now fight and inflict deadly harm. In the case of a lockpick, you can now get through locked doors.

    Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawn Tomkin True. I'm new to PbtA format, so used to DnD and co skill bonus.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment