I'm in an ongoing Ironsworn (Roll20) game.
I'm in an ongoing Ironsworn (Roll20) game. I swore an iron vow a few sessions ago to defeat "Omar the Bloody". We've traveled around a bunch now, and come across Omar who has caused us all grief. We come to the (hopefully) the final confrontation, and the rest of the party now feels that they really want this guy dead too. I've made progress (5.5 boxes worth). They're kind of joining me on my quest.
How much progress, if any, should the other party members start with?
(We found a solution, but I'm curious how other's would handle this.)
How much progress, if any, should the other party members start with?
(We found a solution, but I'm curious how other's would handle this.)
That's an interesting question, Rich Hewett. I'm curious how you handled it.
ReplyDeleteWhat I think I might do under that circumstance is make it a shared vow, and the late-comers can catch-up on current progress. But, when the vow is resolved their XP reward is counted as one rank lower.
Pin
ReplyDeleteThis is how we handled it.
ReplyDeleteI had the vow, "I will silence Omar the Butcher."
We bumped into Omar a few times and had a nasty fight with him that he escaped from. Now the whole party is pissed at him.
Character 2 created the vow, "I will help Rich silence Omar the Butcher." Because we'd already found Omar, and had ideas about Omar's weaknesses and such, it was at best one difficulty easier, unless I didn't want his help and would actively avoid his help.
Character 3 created the vow, "I will return Omar's dead body to Greatrock." Again, this is easier than tracking him down and such, so it had to be an easier vow.
As it happened, I got a weak hit on my vow, so because we hadn't begun bringing Omar back yet, I jumped in on Character 3's vow, while it was still fresh. Apparently silencing Omar wasn't enough; I needed to bring back the proof.
Shawn Tomkin So effectively we did what you said, but instead of it being a shared vow, it became a vow to help someone else fulfill their vow (or a related vow).
ReplyDeleteWell, I like all of that Rich Hewett. The synergy with the overlapping (but not identical) vows is really cool.
ReplyDeleteSo on a side note, we were about to walk in and throw a beating on Omar, Character-2 with the "I will help Rich silence Omar." took it at "Dangerous". I had the original at "Formidable". We let him get ticks whenever he did damage or aided an ally (namely me). Because the way the dice rolled, and how relatively quickly we took Omar out, Character-2 failed at his vow. Had he taken it at an easier level, each progress (hit or help) would have gotten him more ticks toward success. So because I didn't need a ton of help (that's debatable) it kind of played out "correctly" that he failed to truly help me. This ended up working even better than intended.
ReplyDelete