Announcing: Ironsworn - Free Forever!
Announcing: Ironsworn - Free Forever!
The Ironsworn RPG preview edition has been free to download (and continuously evolving) for nine months. My original plan was to offer both a free preview and a paid supporter version once the core book is finished. But, my satisfaction comes from seeing folks downloading, playing and talking about Ironsworn. Plus, to be honest, I'm entirely too lazy to maintain two versions moving forward.
So, the Ironsworn PDF will be offered as a single, complete, free version.
Have questions? Here's some answers!
--------------------------
"I want to express my thanks via cash! How do I do that?"
First of all, thanks! I'm really glad you are enjoying Ironsworn. Secondly, I would suggest that you instead donate $5, $10, $20, or whatever you can spare, to a charity dedicated to progressive causes such as civil rights, humanitarian relief, or environmental protection.
If you are not sure which charity to contribute to, I recommend using the Charity Navigator website. Look for 4-star rated charities via their advanced search tool:
https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.advanced
Please let me know if you donate in Ironsworn's honor!
--------------------------
"How else can I show my support?"
Thanks for asking! Please share your thoughts on Ironsworn via blog posts, social networks, forums, etc. Whether the feedback is good or bad, I really like seeing people talking about the game and I appreciate any opportunity to introduce new folks to our small but friendly community.
Also, your feedback and play reports are incredibly helpful -- particularly as I move into the final phases of development.
--------------------------
"What about that supporter edition I was promised? I seem to recall an Iron Vow being involved!"
Sorry about that! Playtesters and contributors will be credited in the book, and I would like to come up with some special way to say thank you. More on that later.
The Ironsworn supporter list will be maintained here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z20UOKrJm0e1eY68p2fVleZrXNGbN7gd9huUHpxUMxc/edit?usp=sharing
Closer to release, I will be messaging supporters to get the names they'd like to be credited under.
--------------------------
"What about the future of Ironsworn?"
My goal is to have the feature-complete Ironsworn core book released in February or March 2018. If there's enough interest to justify it, I do hope to continue to work on Ironsworn beyond the release of the core book. I'd like to offer print copies (via POD), expansions for other genres, and more. Ironsworn has been really fun to work on and I'm not ready to leave it behind.
Thank you everyone!
The Ironsworn RPG preview edition has been free to download (and continuously evolving) for nine months. My original plan was to offer both a free preview and a paid supporter version once the core book is finished. But, my satisfaction comes from seeing folks downloading, playing and talking about Ironsworn. Plus, to be honest, I'm entirely too lazy to maintain two versions moving forward.
So, the Ironsworn PDF will be offered as a single, complete, free version.
Have questions? Here's some answers!
"I want to express my thanks via cash! How do I do that?"
First of all, thanks! I'm really glad you are enjoying Ironsworn. Secondly, I would suggest that you instead donate $5, $10, $20, or whatever you can spare, to a charity dedicated to progressive causes such as civil rights, humanitarian relief, or environmental protection.
If you are not sure which charity to contribute to, I recommend using the Charity Navigator website. Look for 4-star rated charities via their advanced search tool:
https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.advanced
Please let me know if you donate in Ironsworn's honor!
"How else can I show my support?"
Thanks for asking! Please share your thoughts on Ironsworn via blog posts, social networks, forums, etc. Whether the feedback is good or bad, I really like seeing people talking about the game and I appreciate any opportunity to introduce new folks to our small but friendly community.
Also, your feedback and play reports are incredibly helpful -- particularly as I move into the final phases of development.
"What about that supporter edition I was promised? I seem to recall an Iron Vow being involved!"
Sorry about that! Playtesters and contributors will be credited in the book, and I would like to come up with some special way to say thank you. More on that later.
The Ironsworn supporter list will be maintained here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z20UOKrJm0e1eY68p2fVleZrXNGbN7gd9huUHpxUMxc/edit?usp=sharing
Closer to release, I will be messaging supporters to get the names they'd like to be credited under.
"What about the future of Ironsworn?"
My goal is to have the feature-complete Ironsworn core book released in February or March 2018. If there's enough interest to justify it, I do hope to continue to work on Ironsworn beyond the release of the core book. I'd like to offer print copies (via POD), expansions for other genres, and more. Ironsworn has been really fun to work on and I'm not ready to leave it behind.
Thank you everyone!
I'd love a print copy, eventually
ReplyDeleteWow, amazing decision Shawn! Very generous, will definitely donate in Ironsworn's honour.
ReplyDelete!
ReplyDeleteShawn, this is absolutely amazing news, definitely a surprise! You are a gentleman full-stop. Please continue with options for a POD version of the game; I'm certain you'll have many purchases lined up on day one. It has been an incredible journey, watching you release this and reading everyone's actual-play sessions. Beautiful. Thank you so much!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I must say, it's almost as interesting waiting for updates to your game as it is to play the game! Please continue to engage us at your whim!
ReplyDeleteI'm glade to have had a (very small) helping hand in this great product!
ReplyDeleteAwesome, I think this is a great decision to get Ironsworn into as many hands as possible! It's incredibly generous of you.
ReplyDeleteAnd it doesn't preclude making other supplements down the road that you might charge for (cuz Shawn Tomkin 's gotta eat too, lol)
I would totally throw down some cash for setting specific asset packs or a gazetteer that adds more detail to the world
I have sworn on iron, the blood of the old gods. Ironsworn shall be played in the halls of gamers for eternity.
ReplyDeleteI'd like to see Asset expansions, I'd like to contribute to them. It would be great to have an accessible template that would enable us to create, print and share our own.
Thankyou for such a great game.
Justin Gordon Agreed. I was just "flipping" through The Void - Core the other night, and that's what they ended up choosing to do: put the core rules up as a free download (ultimately ended up going PWYW), and charge a small amount for add-ons.
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin Definitely put this up on sites as a PWYW!
Thank you Shawn Tomkin!
ReplyDeleteHuh, I've been out of the loop for a while. Interesting development. I hope that you make a mint off of the POD, at least.
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin I've come back to necro this post and make it clear that I would absolutely buy a hard copy off you if you decide to offer a POD, I need this on my bookshelf!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the vote of confidence, Justin Gordon! I do hope to offer a POD option. I'd like to have a copy for myself, if nothing else. Stay tuned.
ReplyDeleteYes POD is a must for this beautiful and excellent game.
ReplyDeleteHi Jim Alcala Sales! Your input back in the day was super-helpful. I hope you managed to get Ironsworn to the table.
ReplyDeleteDid, loving it!
ReplyDelete