Hello!

Hello! I have kind of a weird question, as I've never played a solo RPG before. I have a fair amount of sporadic downtime at my current job, and I'm looking for something creative and fun to fill the time gaps. Is Ironsworn something that could feasibly be "played" in small batches of 5-20 minutes at random times throughout a work day? We're kind of obligated to look semi-busy even if we aren't, so being offscreen is a huge draw for me. Thanks!

Comments

  1. Hello! So, that's the magic of solo RPG: you can spend the time you want, or in your case, the time you have. You can run one single scene in 5 minutes, or maybe less...it is only you with yourself, so, don't be afraid to do the things according to your possibilities. Of course, in 5 minutes you won't have the immersion you can have in 1 hour or more. But you still can have lots of fun! I know because that's the way I play most of time: 3 minutes here, 5 minutes there...and it is enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ryan..
    I'm new at solo RPGs myself and certainly found Ironsworn intriguing!
    I believe it might fit the bill for you as I've adapted a mobile version I can run even driving.. (not recommend lol)
    All thats required is a way to access a few charts (primarily the *moves rulebook and your characters sheet) all of which are easily put on a phone or tablet.
    Get a cool die rolling app and your ready to go!

    The majority of time will consist on composition of your Characters Narrative.. (ie daydreaming lol.) but don't let that dissuade you.. I was leary myself, but once you get going the moves portion of this ingenious game will take you in directions you didn't anticipate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm playing a solo campaign and I've done 5 min bits of a bit of narration and a move, but longer bits with several.

    Because it's PbtA it's very easy mechanically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've definitely played some of my solos in little 5-minute chunks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the main thing is to get yourself set up so that your playspace and tools are super-convenient. This probably means going digital. Check out the tools section here for some handy stuff from community members, including character sheets and digital oracles.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment