I've been playing Ironsworn solo for about 10 hours, thanks Shawn Tomkin The book is beautiful and really well done.

I've been playing Ironsworn solo for about 10 hours, thanks Shawn Tomkin The book is beautiful and really well done.

I like the focus on fiction rather than mechanics, but I'm having a hard time with NPC companions having zero mechanical effect (particularly when healing, resupplying, making camp as a low wits solo character-- feels like a fail fest). I also don't want to narrate a success just because I have an NPC companion who might be competent at one of these tasks. I've thought about giving my NPC companion(s) two defining stats based on their fiction (edge & wits, for example) and simply doing a +1 when rolling if one or more NPCs with the relevant stat assist. What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions?

Comments

  1. First thing that comes in mind is the Kindred Asset that fits well with your description. Now, giving an NPC stats is not a good idea. You effectively create a 2 Player party, with you controlling both characters, which is fine, really, but then the NPC stops being an NPC. If your NPC has a deep and meaningful backstory and is a trusting companion for your main character, then this may be the best solution, to turn the NPC into a character with its own assets, background, stats etc.

    Now, about your character failing the wits checks... That's the whole point of it! A character that is good in everything is boring and dull. Being bad in certain things is what gives your character its personality!
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/QviCs0JEgtaXoyaixeOTsfLGQWpp1wefXq-CzhLmuypQYeceKj378HPY8rWZ9RdCevSPxUTjMpP4tSCG4BU7WBVcvSDKTohJpa8=s0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since Ironsworn really is fiction first, I don’t see a problem having that fiction change the mechanics. For example, I believe the rulebook mentions you can lower the difficulty of a combat with the help of an NPC since fighting the big bad 2 vs 1 is much easier than 1 vs 1. So there is precedent.

    In your case, an NPC ranger type who is with you would for sure take care of the hunting and such to resupply which could be represented mechanically with an Add of +1 (or +2 for a veteran ranger) to your roll.

    Alternately, I think there are variant rules for using XP to bump stats. After spending time with the NPC on the road, he or she may be teaching you ways to observe patterns, discern truths, and generally survive more by wits. Perfect opportunity for some narration followed by a mechanical bump to your Wits stat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Nathan Hampson! A couple of things to consider...

    First of all, the Kindred asset that Giorgis mentioned might be a good option. It's available here via the "assets" filter, and it'll be added to the updated core set in July. Give your companion a woodsman type role, and they can help on journeys, hunting, camp, etc. It's a bit more open-ended than the other companions, and a good relief valve if you find some aspect a little frustrating. It's up to the player how broad or narrow to make the role.

    Other assets are pretty strong for travel support. Wayfinder, of course, can be helpful. The combo of a Hawk and Horse companion is actually pretty powerful for journeys, and you look super-cool while doing it.

    Or, simply embrace the fictional potential of a low wits character. You aren't awesome at being independent in the wilds. Form bonds with communities and head for one when you need to resupply or heal. Hire on with a caravan who is heading in your direction, and let them worry about the logistics of travel.

    Finally, keep in mind that Heal, Resupply, Sojourn and Make Camp are (by design) relatively kind to you on a weak hit. You still get some benefit, and even a Wits 1 character has better than even odds of a hit. Temper the result of a miss when you get a string of bad rolls, saving the dire outcomes for dramatic moments and matches. And don't forget Secure an Advantage, which lets you bring a favored stat into play more often.

    Thanks for trying out Ironsworn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Returning to this with a couple more thoughts:

    As Eric Bright mentioned, you can reduce the rank of challenges based on NPC support. So, if you've got an NPC--not a companion--who can help on a journey (but isn't necessarily leading the way), knock the rank down a step. Even for a low wits character, a troublesome or dangerous journey can be dealt with pretty quickly (in play time).

    Secondly, there's some cool fictional stuff here for a starting character. At first, your journeys might be closer to home (lower ranked). As your character grows, you gain assets and form relationships which help support greater challenges. Even at the start you are a capable character, but it's a dangerous world and you have lots to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I was thinking about this more too. After my character just repeatedly got lost, failed to camp or find supplies, and eventually died, I think I just shouldn't have made my inciting incident one that involved a long journey. For my next play I'll stick to my character's strengths I think... Maybe confronting and beating up some fellow knuckleheads in town haha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment