Reach a Milestone variant
Reach a Milestone variant
Hi all, I play my first game, and I really enjoy the solo engine of Ironsworn. I like the challenge dice generating the difficulty of the task, the progress track system works very well and the vows gives to my character a motivation avoiding the "And now what to do?" feeling of some solo games. The only move what I feel too subjective is the Reach a Milestone move. As this move is one of the most important move in the game, I made an update of it for my game sessions, and I can say that it works well. It is not tested as much as I wanted, because I do not have a lot of time to play, so please if you try it in your game session, please send me a feedback. Thank you.
The move refers to time waste ticks. The idea is, that in the game there is no time limit to fulfill a quest. You can have a quest to rescue the lady of the town from the cave of the dragon, but no time limit to do it before the dragon eats the lady. This update give you the chance of the fail of the milestone, even your character think it was a big step of the way to the goal of her. If you have a miss or a weak hit, your hero wastes time. When you waste time you draw the ticks on the progress bar of the quest, but from the right to the left, or from the end toward the beginning. Whenever the 2 progress reach each them, you fail the quest. As you waste time you will be forced to make sooner the Fulfill Your Vow move, and the success of the move will be more difficult.
Here is the move, enjoy it.
REACH A MILESTONE
When you think you make significant progress in your quest by overcoming a critical obstacle, completing a perilous journey, solving a complex mystery, defeating a powerful threat, gaining critical support, or acquiring a crucial item, roll +Wits.
On a strong hit, you may mark progress.
Troublesome quest: Mark 3 progress.
Dangerous quest: Mark 2 progress.
Formidable quest: Mark 1 progress.
Extreme quest: Mark 2 ticks.
Epic quest: Mark 1 tick.
On a weak hit, you are getting closer to the goal of you, but not as perfectly as you want it. Choose one.
Your opponent knows your action, and have a response. Mark your progress, and mark as much TIME WASTE ticks, as the difference between your action roll and the failed challenge roll.
You didn’t make a progress, but you have a new clue. (Ask the Oracle if unsure). Mark as much TIME WASTE ticks, as the difference between your action roll and the failed challenge roll. Take +1momentum
On a miss, you didn’t make a progress. It was just a waste of time. The clue you were following is a dead end. Envision what happened (Ask the Oracle if unsure). Mark as much TIME WASTE ticks, as the difference between your action roll and the higher challenge roll.
Sorry for the my English!
Cheers
Hi all, I play my first game, and I really enjoy the solo engine of Ironsworn. I like the challenge dice generating the difficulty of the task, the progress track system works very well and the vows gives to my character a motivation avoiding the "And now what to do?" feeling of some solo games. The only move what I feel too subjective is the Reach a Milestone move. As this move is one of the most important move in the game, I made an update of it for my game sessions, and I can say that it works well. It is not tested as much as I wanted, because I do not have a lot of time to play, so please if you try it in your game session, please send me a feedback. Thank you.
The move refers to time waste ticks. The idea is, that in the game there is no time limit to fulfill a quest. You can have a quest to rescue the lady of the town from the cave of the dragon, but no time limit to do it before the dragon eats the lady. This update give you the chance of the fail of the milestone, even your character think it was a big step of the way to the goal of her. If you have a miss or a weak hit, your hero wastes time. When you waste time you draw the ticks on the progress bar of the quest, but from the right to the left, or from the end toward the beginning. Whenever the 2 progress reach each them, you fail the quest. As you waste time you will be forced to make sooner the Fulfill Your Vow move, and the success of the move will be more difficult.
Here is the move, enjoy it.
REACH A MILESTONE
When you think you make significant progress in your quest by overcoming a critical obstacle, completing a perilous journey, solving a complex mystery, defeating a powerful threat, gaining critical support, or acquiring a crucial item, roll +Wits.
On a strong hit, you may mark progress.
Troublesome quest: Mark 3 progress.
Dangerous quest: Mark 2 progress.
Formidable quest: Mark 1 progress.
Extreme quest: Mark 2 ticks.
Epic quest: Mark 1 tick.
On a weak hit, you are getting closer to the goal of you, but not as perfectly as you want it. Choose one.
Your opponent knows your action, and have a response. Mark your progress, and mark as much TIME WASTE ticks, as the difference between your action roll and the failed challenge roll.
You didn’t make a progress, but you have a new clue. (Ask the Oracle if unsure). Mark as much TIME WASTE ticks, as the difference between your action roll and the failed challenge roll. Take +1momentum
On a miss, you didn’t make a progress. It was just a waste of time. The clue you were following is a dead end. Envision what happened (Ask the Oracle if unsure). Mark as much TIME WASTE ticks, as the difference between your action roll and the higher challenge roll.
Sorry for the my English!
Cheers
I like this a lot! I think on the weak hit section I would probably alter the second option to reduce the time waste ticks, otherwise I couldn't see myself ever taking it since the progress is probably better than a narrative clue +1 momentum.
ReplyDeleteThis is a really cool idea Andras Madarasz. Let us know how it works out when you get in some playtime with it.
ReplyDeleteI love this idea! I'll try adopting this for my sessions.
ReplyDelete