Two questions from me.
Two questions from me. One, what exactly is "blood iron" as referenced in the Bladebound asset? And, if it's some sort of enchanted weapon/item thing, anyone have ideas for a similar asset for "blood iron" axes/spears/other weapons?
Two, how have y'all been handling loot in your games thus far (if you have)? The lack of inventory management is refreshing on the whole but I think I'd still like to try to hack a way in to still get cool/special items somehow, since that's the source of a lot of really great moments in D&D (hence the prior question). If anyone has a non-hacky way they used the current mechanics to represent that narratively, let me know that too!
Two, how have y'all been handling loot in your games thus far (if you have)? The lack of inventory management is refreshing on the whole but I think I'd still like to try to hack a way in to still get cool/special items somehow, since that's the source of a lot of really great moments in D&D (hence the prior question). If anyone has a non-hacky way they used the current mechanics to represent that narratively, let me know that too!
Hey, Ethan Uhlig. Blood iron is meant to be a bit of a prompt to make it whatever you want it to be. A ritual where the forge is stoked with your blood? Iron that is doused in the blood of a elder beast? There's a couple of instances of this in the assets where I try to leave blanks for you to fill in. It's a good excuse to take a quest to get the support of the craftsman or gather the materials to make the blade.
ReplyDeleteSecondly, the "blade" part of blade-bound can be pretty generic. Any weapon with an edge qualifies. A spear, axe, dagger, etc. Blade-Bound is a path instead of a combat talent, and you can combine it with Swordsman, Skirmisher, Sunderer, etc. to really make the weapon special.
That said, I'll also pull the rug out from under you a bit and say that the Blade-Bound asset is changing soon. Here's the new version, which has some tweaks to the abilities. Also, the narrative prompt is geared towards it being a sentient weapon housing the soul of an ancestor. You need to Forge a Bond with the weapon to gain the asset. What sort of quest will it require of you?
Here's the updated asset: drive.google.com - Ironsworn-Asset-Blade-Bound.pdf
Lastly, I think special loot would largely be handled by assets, with Blade-Bound being a good example. Companions can also be loot of sorts, as can training from an NPC. Special items and relationships are primarily gained by fulfilling vows and forging bonds. If you have an idea for a specific piece of enchanted gear or some-such, feel free to toss it out to the group and we'll see if we can pull together a cool asset for it.
I'd keep those sort of things to 1 or 2 items per character, though. Ironsworn doesn't do very well with the paradigm of gaining power through stuff.
Alright, that explanation makes a lot of sense. Especially the bit about it being for any edged weapon. I was just thrown off by the icon I think. I love the new version by the way, it's a lot more evocative I think than just "blood iron", and forces it to be a quest reward which reinforces what I mentioned earlier about getting gear.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about 1 or 2 items. I was mostly wondering what I would give my character for completing her background vow (though that's a ways off) that would be suitably epic, but I think I have a couple potential ideas now