EDIT: I created an updated version that some might think is better down in the comment chain.

EDIT: I created an updated version that some might think is better down in the comment chain.
Someone in my group wanted to be a shapeshifter so I created this card to give it some gameplay value instead of just narrative. I merged and modified the existing Pretender and Bind cards (I used the icon from Rider since it seemed the most fitting). I haven't play tested it yet but considering it is based on existing assets, I don't expect it to have any real balance problems.
I don't know if it truly fits in with Ironsworn lore since it seems most "magic" is based around rituals and not inherent traits but my story is not based in the Ironsworn world so this may be useful for anyone who is doing something similar and wants a shapeshifter.
Feel free to use this and let me know your thoughts!
I like it, especially the complications on rolling a 1.
ReplyDelete"Is that . . . fur growing out of your ears?"
ReplyDeleteReading this for the first time, after I finished the first ability, but before reading the second, it sounded like the asset was intended for an animal to shift into a human! I immediately thought of Tera West from the Dresden Files.
It is a very cool asset. My only criticism (which might be more a question) is that it isn't clear about the nature of the shapeshifter. Is it intended to be a kind of lycanthrope? I.E. shifts between wolf and human. Or is it more malleable than that? I.E. can you change what you look like as a human and take the form of multiple different animals? Reading the card I lean towards the later. The criticism, such as it is, is that I don't think the wording on the card makes the intent clear. Other than a little more clarity for the intent of the asset, which might just be a line of flavor, the card is very good.
Jeremiah Wenneker Agreed, needs just a bit of clarification. If not a true "shapeshifter" like werewolves, is it more like the Kandra from the Mistborn books, where they can take on the form of what they eat (but they're kind of locked into that form)? Otherwise, yeah, that's a cool asset, and fits equally well in fantasy AND sci-fi worlds, Michael Perfeito!
ReplyDeleteI left it open-ended on purpose for two reasons.
ReplyDeleteA: There isn't enough room on the card for much more text
and
B: This way it can apply to any kind of shapeshifter that works for your narrative.
However, I did originally create it for a humanoid who has the ability to change into multiple other creatures. This is why the "humanoid" version is default as it would be easier then completely changing form.
I tweaked the wording a bit to hopefully avoid confusion and allow for even more narrative options. Thoughts? Jeremiah Wenneker Dan Davis
ReplyDeletehttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Qp0tSgplZWp2y4b_hFaP1fHelKS7QhcP2dhyF51g7kLH2jGOxiZ1oGFY6eXpRwrPh4_3A5V_-WIehggu7N_LPr-T-ptSkhwJ_6A=s0
Michael Perfeito, forgive me for being nitpicky. For the wording of the core ability, may I suggest: "When you shift into a different humanoid form . . ." or "When you assume the form of another humanoid . . ."
ReplyDeleteIn the second ability, "any other form" leaves a lot of open ground. (I.E. I'm going to shapeshift into a chair! ) If that is the intent, cool. If not, you might want to stick with "shapeshift into an animal." It all depends on what you envision the scope of the ability to be.
In either case, it is a very cool asset. Thank you for sharing it with us!
Jeremiah Wenneker I wanted to leave it even more open then the original concept. I removed the humanoid & animal aspect because, for example, what if your character is a mouse? Also, if your narrative allows you to turn into a chair, why not? At that point, it would be on you to come up with and justify a stat that would be boosted in that form, though.
ReplyDelete