How can I represent my character resting in a community for an extended period of time ?
How can I represent my character resting in a community for an extended period of time ?
My character has just gone out of a very perilous fight, which has left him wounded, shaken, maimed, with -6 momentum, +0 health, +0 spirit, and +1 supply. In a word, he's probably going to need to rest for a while before adventuring again.
However, the Sojourn move doesn't seem to be enough. I need to represent a month, or several months, of recovery ; he won't go in the wild again until he has a positive momentum and at least +3 health, spirit and supply. How can I represent this, mechanically ? Roll Sojourn multiple times ? Or just roll once and accept that trouble finds me again, still in a poor state ? Heal, Resupply and Secure Advantages until he is well again ? Do an ellipse in the narration and come back "one month later" with his stats arbitrarily set to adventuring values ?
My character has just gone out of a very perilous fight, which has left him wounded, shaken, maimed, with -6 momentum, +0 health, +0 spirit, and +1 supply. In a word, he's probably going to need to rest for a while before adventuring again.
However, the Sojourn move doesn't seem to be enough. I need to represent a month, or several months, of recovery ; he won't go in the wild again until he has a positive momentum and at least +3 health, spirit and supply. How can I represent this, mechanically ? Roll Sojourn multiple times ? Or just roll once and accept that trouble finds me again, still in a poor state ? Heal, Resupply and Secure Advantages until he is well again ? Do an ellipse in the narration and come back "one month later" with his stats arbitrarily set to adventuring values ?
I recall Shawn Tomkin mentioning a full reset (or near unto, I do not recall the particulars) being justifiable in a situation like that.
ReplyDeleteJosh McGraw Found it ! It's earlier in here.
ReplyDeleteI can now reset my stats with a clean conscience.
.saved for later
ReplyDelete.
ReplyDeleteSide note: Boy, it'd be nice if we could figure out a way to move some of these rule questions/responses into a FAQ, Shawn Tomkin... I wonder if maybe we could take the "dumps" of the community which people have been grabbing (I think Spencer Salyer pulled one recently, though that may have been for another Community) and break it into small chunks, pass them off to certain people, and try to pull interesting FAQ entries from them. Then you'd have great filler for an actual FAQ page on your site!
ReplyDeleteHey Dan Davis. I have mentioned trying to pull together an FAQ from the discussions here, and it's on my to-do list. Would be nice to crowdsource it. I'll give that some thought, but I may just dive in and see how it goes.
ReplyDeleteI feel for you Octave . My character , who I've grown quite attached to has just taken an absolute beating by my dice . Might have to narrate her out of the situation she's in and change my dice !
ReplyDelete