Shawn Tomkin how did you come up with ideas for the assets

Shawn Tomkin how did you come up with ideas for the assets ? Did you make a list of fantasy archetype and themes, or did you consider the crunchy part first ?
I'm working on a cyberpunk hack, I'm pretty happy with what I did so far, but I have trouble coming up with assets ideas, apart from weapons and cybernetics.

Comments

  1. It was definitely idea before crunch. For paths, many of the original ideas were just trying to support various archetypes, and then adding some that felt more specific to the setting and themes.

    For Cyberpunk paths, I would first think about what people typically do in those stories, and then identify the roles that paths can fill. I wish I was more familiar with the genre, but things like hacker, tech, scavenger, doc, fixer, merc, and street rat.

    Not sure on companions. Drones? Military bots? I wouldn't say that companions are necessarily a great fit for every genre.

    The fun part is probably coming up with the cyberware. I would make that its own category -- basically a replacement for rituals.

    Feel free to make a post to crowd source ideas here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawn Tomkin I had a couple ideas for cybernetics, and it's true that they naturally take the place for rituals, inasmuch as they often allow to do things a normal person wouldn't be able to do.
    Also, I'm going for a post-cyberpunk feel, like Ghost in the Shell or Altered Carbon, something more about transhumanism than heists. The archetypes of this genre are not as easy to flesh out as in the classical "Cyberpunk 2020" type of fiction.
    Thanks for your answer !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment