Sometimes, I get so much into a story that I begin predicting some of its plot twists or its outline.
Sometimes, I get so much into a story that I begin predicting some of its plot twists or its outline. When I do that, the story eventually loses its flavor, because I know how it will end. I basically railroad myself.
I guess the solution to this is tp trust the dice, the oracle and my imagination, to let myself be surprised, and to stop predicting stuff.
Does anyone have the same problem ?
I guess the solution to this is tp trust the dice, the oracle and my imagination, to let myself be surprised, and to stop predicting stuff.
Does anyone have the same problem ?
Speaking generally about solo play, I stick to the oracles and random tables, thus I'm constantly surprised.
ReplyDeleteYes, Octave Immarigeon, I've frequently had the same problem in the past. The oracles' depth and breadth are a big part of what drew met o Ironsworn.
ReplyDeleteI've seen that for sure, Octave Immarigeon. Sometimes, I'll get way ahead of the story, and find myself guiding things in that direction. For example, I'll interpret oracles to fit my preconceptions, instead of letting them change those preconceptions.
ReplyDeleteOne technique is to use matches not only as means of making your character's life more complicated and surprising, but as a way of altering your own assumptions and plans for the story. Don't let a match mean "here's that plot twist or complication I saw coming". Instead, step out of your head for a minute and use the oracles as means of undermining your own ideas and plans for the current situation and the story generally. When you roll an oracle, discard your first idea if it doesn't surprise or inspire you. Think on it a second, roll again, or check another oracle for more detail. Wait for that spark that energizes you and usurps your expectations.
That said, there's a balance to be struck . In many cases, your storytelling instincts are going to lead you down the right path. Trust them to an extent, while being eager and ready to ignore and undermine them.