Changing vow rank: is it a good idea?

Changing vow rank: is it a good idea?

So, I'm playing solo and i had a "dangerous" starting vow as the result of my inciting incident. I had a couple of misses when in the initial stages of investigating how to fulfill my vow, and the twists I introduced as a result have collectively made the whole thing a much bigger deal. Honestly, it feels more like a formidable quest than a dangerous one now. Can I just change quest rank? And maybe put a couple of "troublesome" side quests in along the way so that I'm still earning a bit of xp? Do you think it would be better to keep my current marked progress, or to scale it back in accordance with the new rank?

Grateful for any thoughts.

Comments

  1. I would scale it up, while at the same time keeping the progress made so far. That sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with +Thredith Undomiel. Raise the rank and keep the progress you've already marked. I had a section in the options for "Fluid Progress Tracks" at one point, but decided it muddied the waters a bit too much, and folks like yourself seemed to already be working it out as a solution for special cases.

    That said, I would generally let complications lead to new quests instead of raising the rank of a current quest. If you think about it, reaching milestones on a secondary quest (page 217) can give you the same mechanical result as raising the rank of your primary quest. In both cases, it creates more steps on the path to fulfilling your vow. It just depends on the fiction, Sometimes those complications won't give you something that you can turn into a vow.

    Let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawn Tomkin Thanks for the input. I'd generally go for a secondary quest too, but in this case it's something that directly alters the goal of the main quest, so it doesn't really feel like a new vow... I've already vowed to do it, just doing it is now harder. It was a rather rash vow to begin with (an open ended one made to a sea-god), so it getting unexpectedly harder seems fictionally appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like cool story is happening, so mission accomplished :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shawn Tomkin it certainly is :) I'm really enjoying Ironsworn so far! My game is rapidly turning into one of intense factional intrigue, which I absolutely didn't expect. I'm super impressed by the level of genuine narrative surprise that's happening even in a solo game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome, Bodhi Hunt! If you get some time, please post a play report! Can be brief/summary, but sounds like it'd be of interest and helpful to other solo players.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I second that motion for a play report!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment