Inspired by Magnus Natt och Dag's map, I offer you the hexagonal version of the Ironlands!
Inspired by Magnus Natt och Dag's map, I offer you the hexagonal version of the Ironlands!
I used Hexographer, and the available Ironlands maps for inspiration (both Magnus' and the original map). I also read the descriptions given in the rulebook to make sure details were as close as possible.
You'll see two versions here: The first one, which includes all different region tags, plus the defined frontiers. The second one is a much bigger file that includes all elements in more detail + grids and frontiers, but it omits the region tags.
There's a third version in case you want to print it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qlt3IjyYdQjK2pu7To6vhkfrrlla6Zk0
This last version is around 25MB, but it includes more subtle frontiers, and grid numbers!
Enjoy!

I used Hexographer, and the available Ironlands maps for inspiration (both Magnus' and the original map). I also read the descriptions given in the rulebook to make sure details were as close as possible.
You'll see two versions here: The first one, which includes all different region tags, plus the defined frontiers. The second one is a much bigger file that includes all elements in more detail + grids and frontiers, but it omits the region tags.
There's a third version in case you want to print it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qlt3IjyYdQjK2pu7To6vhkfrrlla6Zk0
This last version is around 25MB, but it includes more subtle frontiers, and grid numbers!
Enjoy!

D:
ReplyDeleteOh, wow. That is gorgeous. Love it!
ReplyDeleteI realized that by having hexes on the map, it was easier to keep track of my Ironsworn adventures. Also, seeing it this way, I understood that the map was huge!
ReplyDeleteThat is amazing. Great work!
ReplyDeleteWow! Very nice Thredith Undomiel!
ReplyDeleteIs it possible to import your templates into Hexographer as layered maps that you can edit/modify? That's a feature I really miss in Inkarnate.
I will post the final version of my Inkarnate map soon as well, just have to expand the marshes in the Flooded lands. I might actually add hexes or grids to the Inkarnate template too as you're totally correct about them making it easier to grasp the scale.
Ps. Love the lakes/rivers :)
Magnus Natt och Dag Thanks! As far as I’ve seen, Hexographer does have an import function that works with PNG files. I haven’t tried it, though.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work, Magnus!
Love the printable version! I imagine the individual hex numbers might be quite useful!
ReplyDeleteI wonder if my local office Depot can print it larger than standard.
My old eyes have a hard time with 8x11 lol...
Thredith Undomiel What scale is this at hex wise? I have the full licensed version of Hexographer and would love to make some child maps of this! Is there anyway to get the Hexographer file for it? (Understand if you don't want to share it, but thought I'd ask.)
ReplyDeleteJohn Risus I've attached the setup for the map*. Also, here's the file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18pMZzEdBl4x7uUb0hg80IMTKFYHBek-X/view?usp=sharing
ReplyDeleteI've included the *.hxm file for the map, and the set of icons I've used (which is the free multicolor set available from Hexographer's website). I hope it comes in handy!
*In case the image is hard to read, it says: Width: 80 hexes. Height: 60 hexes. Hex Width: 48 px. Hex Height: 42 px. Map Orientation: True Columns.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/R8SwO7Rz57E-GK8m4eHoK7gPlN4CAbOYfvRFabvJNohDJLHtZR9RQoqafFy-71QNgmLsRg41nufwcA=s0
walter burrell If you download the 25MB file (the third version I've linked), I'm sure you'll be able to print it at a larger than standard size. That'd look amazing once printed!
ReplyDeleteThredith Undomiel Thanks! What I meant by scale is how far does each hex represent? Maybe Shawn Tomkin can give us an idea, unless I missed it in the book, just how big this continent is?
ReplyDeleteThredith Undomiel I did and plan to do just that! I think I’ll try a free poster making app that should allow it to be broken into 2 or maybe even four pages..*then hopefully I could see it well enough to be useful..lol
ReplyDeleteJohn Risus here's the answer Shawn gives in another thread regarding scale:
ReplyDelete"If I were to eyeball things, I'd compare to some of the actual map bits I used. The Ragged Coast, using the coast of Norway as a model, would be around 1000mi / 1600km. That seems about right, I think, though I've no idea if it would hold up when applied to other areas of the map. I'd probably take that rough idea and plop it over a grid and see if it looks sensible.
When I originally conceived of the setting and the Undertake a Journey move, I had a unit of measurement called "Marches". It was a distance of about what a contingent of soldiers would travel in a day. I hadn't gone so far as to convert it to miles because it was treated pretty abstractly."
Magnus Natt och Dag Wow, okay, so I just randomly counted from one end of The Ragged Coast to the other. Not along the actual coast but as someone might travel and came in at roughly 60 hexes +/-. That would put each hex around 15 miles. At a league an hour, I am guessing about a hex a day then. Dang, that is quite a large map since it would take two months to travel The Ragged Coast without interruption! I guess I will make sub-maps in leagues since I prefer those.
ReplyDeleteThe map looks great, but as far as I know, rivers always end in sea or in lake, unilke the ones we can see on hexes 35052 or 50063. Rivers are also unlikely to split (except of deltas), as we can see on hexes 27061 or 47067. We can often see smaller rivers merging into bigger ones, but not quite the opposite. In my opinion, a couple of modifications would make this beautiful map much more realistic. How do you think?
ReplyDeleteI'll follow your advice! Thanks Jarosław Daniel!
ReplyDeletePerhaps these streams source from higher terrain and are but following the course of least resistance to the primary channel?
ReplyDeleteThredith Undomiel Let me give you some more advice about rivers:
ReplyDeleteYou can look at the hydrographical maps for inspiration. For example, in Poland rivers flow from the mountains and hills (most of them are in the south) to north-west, to Baltic Sea, merging on the way as you can see here: en.wikipedia.org - File:Polska hydrografia2.jpg - Wikipedia
In Ironlands, I would expect a lot of narrow, fast-moving mountain streams beginning in Veiled Mountains and Tempest Hills (but also in hills of other regions) merging together at confluences in lower lands and flowing generally to the south and south-east. Some of them end in the sea in Havens region and much more in the Flooded Lands, a flat region perfect for merging of long, wide rivers which is often accompanied with lakes and/or swamps. Flooded Lands is also a good place for some big river deltas.
There could be some lakes and swamps at river confluences in other regions as well, especially Hinterlands, Havens, and Deep Wilds.
There can be islands on the lakes, great places for fortified strongholds!
In Ragged Coast I would expect a lot of short, narrow, “local” streams (that begin in Ragged Coast and end in the sea after very short way), but not big rivers coming from other regions, because fjords indicate hills or even mountains, and water never goes upwards.
Hope this will be helpful!
I’ve been thinking of using this beautiful map in my adventure across the Ironlands.
ReplyDeleteAs guesstimated earlier, each hex is ~15miles or so.
I’m using the one w grid numbers.
I was wondering how would one mechanically incorporate the map into gameplay?
There likely is a standard way but I’m new to this genre of gaming..
Thanks all!