Hi all!


Hi all!

I've been working on a template for Inkarnate, and this is the progress I've made so far. Inkarnate turned out to be kind of a drag to work with at this scale, I think it's more tailored for creating local or regional maps as the resolution gets kind of blurry when you zoom in alot.

This is my interpretation of the descriptions given in the world-section of the rule book. I aim at keeping the map as "open-ended" as possible so that it may evolve with the fiction. Therefor I haven't added any lakes, rivers or roads (though I've been really really tempted to do so).

Any respons regarding things you think I've interpretated wrong or things you just think I should change would be highly appreciated!

ps. the parchment section to the right is there for keeping notes about your truths of the world and such, just for easy reference (and for tucking away the large section that otherwise would have been empty void).

Comments

  1. That looks awesome! I mostly have been using HexKit to map the areas around my adventures, but hadn't even considered something this large scale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh .... awesome! You did a really nice job extrapolating from my vague descriptions. Nice work! I'd say adding rivers and roads would make the scale seem a bit small, so it seems good as-is to me.

    Some minor thoughts:

    I'd maybe creep the flooded lands ever so slightly a bit further into the interior.

    It would be nice to differentiate the Tempest Hills from the Havens a bit more, but I imagine you are limited by the stencils. I often picture them as like the Scottish highlands, but dialed up to 11.

    I really love it. Made my day to see the map given such vibrant life. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawn Tomkin glad you like it and thanks for your input!

    I think you are right regarding the Flooded lands, the space west - north-west of it feels a bit empty so I'll extend it.

    I'll try to switch the hills in the Tempest hills to the rocky counterpart and see how it turns out. There is a green version of the hills aswell and initially I used them in the havens, but in the end I thought they stood out too much vs. the rest of the color palett.

    I've also been pondering the composition of trees in the Deep wilds. In my mind the deep wilds is mainly a coniferous forest, but there's only one kind of stencil for pine trees and that's the one I've been using in the Hinterlands. I wanted to give the deep wilds a more dense impression and therefor went with the deciduous forest stencil instead. I might add some more pines though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, in my mind the Deep Wilds are similar to temperate rainforests (i.e. British Columbia, Western Washington, Norway), which are largely coniferous. I didn't notice your map used deciduous trees. I agree that using the densest stencil is probably the right choice, and I like the visual distinction between that area and the Hinterlands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can it do layers, this program?
    If so you could have a layer that adds those features.
    I had used the map and appendix info from the Michael Scott Rohan books as inspiration and the map is North America with a ice age, so more land exposed. Thus the Ragged Coast had a proto Rockies down its length.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allan Prewett Yes it can! The problem is that there's no good import-function (yet) which means that you have to add the template as a single layer. So you can't for example delete individual trees or mountains without erasing the background as well. But you can remove the desired terrain feature + background and then rebuild the background however you wish.

    You can also for example add new features to the existing map, like mountains, roads, settlements and such without much hassle.


    I hope that the developer will make it possible to import templates as multilayered maps sometime in the future. I also miss a "save as" option, where you can save different versions of the same map. I'll have to edit the original map once I start my playthrough, which will make it a drag to reset everything for future characters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment