Really enjoying Ironsworn so far!

Really enjoying Ironsworn so far!

One question that keeps popping up is, can an inciting incident trigger the background vow?

The way I understand it, is the background vow looks to be made prior to the incident.

O.o?

Comments

  1. I mean I don't think the Iron Vow police are going to come get you if you decide to do that. The biggest thing is that your background vow have enough narrative weight to support a lifetime of adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come to think of it I did just this in one of my AP series. I definitely don't see a problem with it

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can certainly find to handle that as you like, John Conners. The reason to start with a lower-ranked vow, which I define as triggered by an inciting incident, is to drive your first session and allow for a quest that can be resolved relatively quickly. In my experience, it's sometimes easier to get a handle on a smaller-scale quest.

    You can instead decide that your inciting incident (what happens in your initial session or immediately before play) triggers a higher-ranked vow. This would work fine, but I would look for opportunities to spin off lower-ranked vows.

    You might even decide that you start with an epic vow, but that you have an immediate goal as a secondary quest for that main vow (page 217). That'll give you something to do while wrapping everything in the narrative of "the horrible thing that just happened".

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Iron Vow Police isn’t a companion asset soon I shall be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shane Mclean hahahaha, when you catch someone violating an Iron Vow roll +heart...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shawn Tomkin Great thanks for clearing that up. I was just hesitant because I'm new to the game and wasn't sure if it would throw things for a loop, mechanically speaking.

    Thanks all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment