So I've finally got 95% of Ironsworn digested and trying to get my hero and his dog companion (my dogs name so I...

So I've finally got 95% of Ironsworn digested and trying to get my hero and his dog companion (my dogs name so I better not get him killed.. Lol)
Trying to get get them started on their adventure.
Its challenging.. I've never done anything like this.

One question on a path asset..."Devotant"
"when you swear an Iron vow to serve your God on a Devine quest, you may roll + your God's Stat and reroll any dice."
1- what should the Stat be? And I was thinking + 2.

2. Should this not read that this ability is available on a "hit" after adding the Stat bonus?

Thanks for the help... Excited to get started.

Edit: honestly I'm not quite sure quite clear on how Devotant is to work..
Reroll *any dice when and how often?

Comments

  1. When you take Devotant as an asset you choose what’s your God's stat. It means that you have to choose between Edge, Iron, heart, etc… Let’s say yours is a war God; you’re probably going to choose Iron for Him. Is She a hunting Goddess? Go with Edge. Is He a trickster? Shadow’s gonna be His stat.

    Then the first ability says that only when you are Swearing an Iron Vow related to your God you may roll on the stat you have chosen for Him/Her (instead of rolling+heart as per the normal Swear an Iron Vow roll). Let's say your character has +2 Iron and Iron is your God's stat. Then you roll+2.

    Then you may reroll any dice on that roll (Swearing an Iron Vow to serve your God on a divine quest), once.

    Remember that the ability also says that you mark one extra experience when you fulfill that vow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi walter,
    As I understand the asset(I may be wrong):

    1- You don't put a number here. You choose a stat name(Edge/Iron/Heart/Shadow/Wits). Basicaly what aspect your god represents. Are they a god of deceit that represent Shadow? Or of songs, knowledge and lore representing Wits?

    2- When you make the Swear an Iron Vow move you roll and add heart. This ability lets you add your god's stat that you chose instead of heart. Still your character's numeric value of this stat though. You also get to reroll any die on this, meaning that if you don't like the result, you can reroll all 3 of them (2d10 + 1d6) or some of them(the 2d10s OR the 1d6 + 1d10 OR just 1d10 OR just the 1d6... you get the point). Reroll only once though and you must accept the new outcome. You can't reroll some of them and after the result decide that you want to also reroll the rest of them.
    EDIT: typos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Walter! For Devotant, identify the stat which is most related to your god: edge, heart, iron, shadow, or wits. When you roll + your god's stat, you are using the value of that stat as you have it on your character sheet.

    Essentially, this allows you to associate a favored (i.e. +3) stat with your god, and leverage that stat when you make your Devotant moves.

    For example, your character has +3 iron, your god's stat is iron, and you have the sojourn ability in your devotant path, which states:

    "When you Sojourn, and spread the word of your god, you may roll + your god’s stat and take +1 momentum on a hit."

    So, when you sojourn, you have the option to use your god's stat (in our example, iron) instead of +heart, and you'll take +1 momentum on a hit.

    Similarly, when you make the Swear an Iron Vow move related to a divine quest, you'll use your god's stat instead of +heart and reroll any dice. See page 58 for a summary of what "reroll any dice" means.

    Note: this makes a god with heart as its associated stat arguably a bit less beneficial (depending on your stats), but the daily prayer move is still pretty powerful regardless.

    You should name and theme the god in a way that reflects the stat. An iron god might be warlike, or value strength, or be the god of the forge. A shadow god would be duplicitous, or the god of night.

    Hope that make sense. Let me know if not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edit: Oops! Didn't notice that others responded, and they did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good grief I feel dumb..appreciate the great help!
    Now sorry if this is blatantly obvious as well but here goes— On the “daily prayer “part, what constitutes a day?

    Now a brief observation -
    Wow that was the most stress I’ve had in a game ever! As I mentioned above,I named my asset after my dog “Beanz”...And I was determined *not to get him hurt.
    Wellll.. on our very first waypoint enroute to find the beast harming the village of Highmount, I missed badly..not only badly but a match!
    The Oracle stated essentially a new beast arrives and something close to you is the target!
    I literally felt dread and forehead smacked, said to myself..”ohh no.....”
    It was so tough to make Beanz the “target “but it obviously was him. (I was stressed!) My wife said not to tell her..lol
    Fortunately the next rolls were all strong hits and the Wolf never got his lunch.

    Unfortunately on the “End the Fight” it was a weak hit and I let a 1d6 determine the outcome.
    It was • You suffer collateral damage: Something of value is lost or broken, or someone important must endure the cost.
    And since Beanz was always the focus, I had him take a wound.

    So interesting, I never knew I’d get invested in a solo rpg as this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, walter burrell. "Daily prayers" = limited to using once a day (in fictional game time, not real-time). It can be part of your character's routine (i.e. evening prayers, before bed), or just something you do ad-hoc. Feel free to handwave whether a day has passed when you are narrating things zoomed out (such as when you Sojourn or Undertake a Journey). There's a risk/reward with any move, so you don't have to be super diligent about trying to keep track of the passage of time.

    And that sounds like a stressful but cool adventure. Sometimes Ironsworn knows which buttons to push :).

    Rolling a 1d6 on the End the Fight options is genius! I never even thought of that. Pure happenstance that I have 6 items there.

    I will do my own daily prayers for Beanz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shawn Tomkin Ha! My wife n I appreciate that! Anything happens to Beanz and I’ll be in real trouble..lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment