So,I read the book of rules.I read it again.I tried to envision my character:The youngest son of a peasant...
So,I read the book of rules.I read it again.I tried to envision my character:The youngest son of a peasant family,somehow being the only survivor of a brutal winter that took the lives of his parents and brothers.The reason why everything turned out this way is,because a band of raiders visited and cleared everything that would help with winter survival,slaughtering locals who wouldn't agree to hand the supplies over.
Now on a journey to survive(and in the very distant perspective,to avenge) his family,the weak,ill,crippled not quite a child who only survived to see his 17th birthday by some miracle and constant attention from the village's healer is setting off into the world he knows very little about...
...And here is where I start to have problems.Not with the narrative,no.The setting.I always loved history in a "this is practically fiction"(because it often is) way,but I realised that I know very little about how the day-to-day lives looked like for people who weren't vikings in skandinavia or,say,Iceland inbetween 700 and 1400 AD.
-How was iron ore found and made into well,iron,in middle ages?
-If iron is rare and extremely expensive,then what people use instead of it?Bronze?How much more affordable common is it,especially for someone of lower birth,and lower means?
-Cowardice and accusations of it were grave offence for vikings.But vikings were a small bit of population that christians had the pleasure meeting.What about the morality and ways of life of those who minded their own business and did no harm to no one?
How were clothes and items of everyday convenience made?
And in general:what did the people back then knew and had?
I really need to find a book that would explain all this,but typical "history books" barely touch on those subjects.Can anyone reccomend me something to read on medieval way of life??
Now on a journey to survive(and in the very distant perspective,to avenge) his family,the weak,ill,crippled not quite a child who only survived to see his 17th birthday by some miracle and constant attention from the village's healer is setting off into the world he knows very little about...
...And here is where I start to have problems.Not with the narrative,no.The setting.I always loved history in a "this is practically fiction"(because it often is) way,but I realised that I know very little about how the day-to-day lives looked like for people who weren't vikings in skandinavia or,say,Iceland inbetween 700 and 1400 AD.
-How was iron ore found and made into well,iron,in middle ages?
-If iron is rare and extremely expensive,then what people use instead of it?Bronze?How much more affordable common is it,especially for someone of lower birth,and lower means?
-Cowardice and accusations of it were grave offence for vikings.But vikings were a small bit of population that christians had the pleasure meeting.What about the morality and ways of life of those who minded their own business and did no harm to no one?
How were clothes and items of everyday convenience made?
And in general:what did the people back then knew and had?
I really need to find a book that would explain all this,but typical "history books" barely touch on those subjects.Can anyone reccomend me something to read on medieval way of life??
.
ReplyDeleteThat's quite a bit of a timespan, I'd look at the Saxons and Normans during that period too as the Vikings were pretty much done by 900AD. There are lots and lots of books on the Anglo-Saxons and Normans. Before that there are the Picts and the Celts which might offer some more insight into life early iron age because in reality by the Vikings/Saxons iron was fairly common to those with the means to make it.
ReplyDeleteamazon.co.uk - The Anglo-Saxons: : James Campbell, Eric John, Patrick Wormald: 8601300094724: Books
ReplyDeleteI admire your will to investigate all of it, but... wouldn't you rather come up with your own answers to those questions and create your very own fictional world as you go?
ReplyDeleteCezar Capacle I have too many questions and too few answers.Hollywood aproach(where only battles and travels are shown) isn't very good for anything but hollywood movies.
ReplyDeleteBesides,I love learning about something new,even if knowledge isn't really practical.And in an RPG understanding of the setting can lead to interesting narrative possibilities.
Oh, I agree with you! I am not talking about skipping those aspects at all!
ReplyDeleteBut "understanding of the setting" (for me) can very much be "creating of the setting". What if people used silk for clothing? And silver was common and affordable? What if cowardice was culturally encouraged? What if knowledge was the official currency, and people traded scrolls for merchandise? Aren't all of those interesting narrative possibilities?
I am with Cezar Capacle on this, you seem to be seeking facts that you feel are thematically important to what you want in a fictional low-fantasy solo setting where, IMHO, the facts are whatever you want them to be. You can definitely riff off of any appropriate historical time that seems appropriate to, and in line with, the Ironsworn setting for stuff like this. But for me I can't really help define what you are looking for, as how I envision the answers to your questions may not mirror your own desires. If Ironsworn held such detail it would be as big if not bigger than a history book.
ReplyDeleteNow if you are looking for suggestions to those answers as inspiration as opposed to facts, then that can easily be provided. For example, Iron was forged by a society that died off hundreds of years ago and is beyond the scope of current smelting practices. Most people use stone/flint/wooden implements, though there are whispers of a few smiths that can smelt bronze (a vow/quest all their own) that may be able to fix your steel family heirloom sword.
But I don't feel that is what you are asking, so my response may be moot.
Bernard Cornwall has a couple of series that might be relevant: The Saxon Chronicles and The Warlord Chronicles. The former "focuses on the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Wessex, England during the 9th-century reign of Alfred the Great, his fierce opposition to the Danes and his determination to unite England as one country" while the latter is a "trilogy depicting Cornwell's historical re-creation of Arthurian Britain. The series posits that post-Roman Britain was a difficult time for the native Britons, being threatened by invasion from the Anglo-Saxons in the East and raids from the Irish in the West".
ReplyDeleteIf you can find them, episodes of the British series Time Team that deal with the Saxons would probably be worthwhile as well.
Cezar Capacle I agree, but having said that there is nothing wrong in wanting to find out these things to enrich your games. Even if it's to say "oh they did that, my setting will to this instead"
ReplyDeleteEadwin Tomlinson Absolutely nothing wrong! Knock yourself out! Nobody is ever worse for learning more. 😊
ReplyDelete