Christo Meid ... no Kickstarter. Just a POD via DriveThru RPG. As for planning, I'll quote Professor Indiana Jones: "I'm making this up as I go."
neuzd .. The binding does seem tight. Enough so that I I thinking about shifting the inside margins over a tiny bit. But, I'd prefer not to mess now that I have things locked-down, and I assume it'll get some flex with use (?). Also, the paperback version would be looser I imagine.
Ovy Ortega ... sometime in July for the official "it's done" PDF release and POD. And I love ring-bound and spiral-bound RPG's! They lay nice and flat and are super-easy to reference. In fact, I am probably the only guy who liked the Dungeons and Dragons 2nd edition monster ring binders.
Easy enough for folks to grab the Ironsworn PDF and have it spiral-bound or punched for ring bound if they like that format.
Nick Carter ... I had an unreasonable fear of getting the page flow wrong, but it all worked out. The problems I've been having were related to various glitches in the system (files not getting passed to the printer, and then an order not going through). It's been a bit frustrating but I think smooth sailing from here on out.
This is my first proof and it's in pretty good shape. I am going to tweak the margins just a bit since the binding is pretty tight, and adjust some elements to try to get more contrast. It's all a bit muted, which kinda' fits the aesthetic, but can use some punching up to compensate for the print-on-demand process.
I also ordered a version with the standard weight paper, but boy howdy that looks pretty bad. I don't think I'm going to offer it in that format. I'll try the softcover with heavy paper and see how that looks.
Which begs the question for anyone subscribed to the post... are there any preferences for softcover versus hardcover aside from price? If the ultimate price difference with heavy paper is around 5 bucks, I'm not sure why anyone would bother, and I'm not sure if it's worth the effort for me setting up the files. The shipping would be a bit less because of the weight difference, I guess?
Shawn Tomkin glad it's turning out well, then! I've bought softcover and hardcover both, personally, and with the wonderfully obsessive quality control you do I'm pretty sure anyone would be happy with whatever product you've signed off on
Was there a Kickstarter I didn't know about, or were you always planning on self-publishing?
ReplyDeleteNice ! :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome! How's the binding? It looked a little rigid, but I know I can't really tell from this far away.
ReplyDeleteThat’s fantastic! Taking into account the length of the book, a hardcover option seems to fit just right!
ReplyDeleteChristo Meid ... no Kickstarter. Just a POD via DriveThru RPG. As for planning, I'll quote Professor Indiana Jones: "I'm making this up as I go."
ReplyDeleteneuzd .. The binding does seem tight. Enough so that I I thinking about shifting the inside margins over a tiny bit. But, I'd prefer not to mess now that I have things locked-down, and I assume it'll get some flex with use (?). Also, the paperback version would be looser I imagine.
DROOL!!!!! When? Also go old fashioned- ring bound notebook?
ReplyDeleteLooks amazing! I look forward to picking it up once the POD is set up.
ReplyDeleteOvy Ortega ... sometime in July for the official "it's done" PDF release and POD. And I love ring-bound and spiral-bound RPG's! They lay nice and flat and are super-easy to reference. In fact, I am probably the only guy who liked the Dungeons and Dragons 2nd edition monster ring binders.
ReplyDeleteEasy enough for folks to grab the Ironsworn PDF and have it spiral-bound or punched for ring bound if they like that format.
Will sooo buy this in the near future
ReplyDelete(When it's available and I'm with cash)
Shawn Tomkin I thought you were having issues getting Drivethru to print with the graphics wrapping correctly
ReplyDeleteNick Carter ... I had an unreasonable fear of getting the page flow wrong, but it all worked out. The problems I've been having were related to various glitches in the system (files not getting passed to the printer, and then an order not going through). It's been a bit frustrating but I think smooth sailing from here on out.
ReplyDeleteThis is my first proof and it's in pretty good shape. I am going to tweak the margins just a bit since the binding is pretty tight, and adjust some elements to try to get more contrast. It's all a bit muted, which kinda' fits the aesthetic, but can use some punching up to compensate for the print-on-demand process.
I also ordered a version with the standard weight paper, but boy howdy that looks pretty bad. I don't think I'm going to offer it in that format. I'll try the softcover with heavy paper and see how that looks.
Which begs the question for anyone subscribed to the post... are there any preferences for softcover versus hardcover aside from price? If the ultimate price difference with heavy paper is around 5 bucks, I'm not sure why anyone would bother, and I'm not sure if it's worth the effort for me setting up the files. The shipping would be a bit less because of the weight difference, I guess?
Shawn Tomkin glad it's turning out well, then! I've bought softcover and hardcover both, personally, and with the wonderfully obsessive quality control you do I'm pretty sure anyone would be happy with whatever product you've signed off on
ReplyDeleteI'm probably going to pick up in hardcover and make sure I show it around at any convention I attend.
ReplyDeleteMy GMing table copy is likely to continue to be my A4 and A5 ringbound copies... ;)
Woooo, that looks great!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely use the heavier paper. I'm happy with just a hardcover option.
ReplyDeleteThis looks amazing!
ReplyDelete