Guys, have you ever played in High Fantasy settings? Which ones? And how was the experience?

Guys, have you ever played in High Fantasy settings? Which ones? And how was the experience?

I'm playing in the Krevborna system-neutral setting, gothic horror (I made it to be ritual magic), and it inspired me to seek something more high magic. Wanting to hear opinions :)

Also if interested I might start doing themes and stuff for the delve playlets, more high fantasy oriented.

Comments

  1. High Fantasy has never been my biggest cup of tea. However, I have played in a few High Fantasy settings using D&D, Dungeon World, and Fantasy Age. I think the chief reason I never got hooked is because you really need to either own the fact that you're in a High Fantasy setting or you need to be careful with who has the power in that setting. I think the latter option is the best way to use Ironsworn rules for High Fantasy.

    For instance, Arthurian mythos is fairly high fantasy. There's some outright fantastic stuff in that mythology. However, a lot of that fantastic stuff is in the hands of the Fey and other strange beings, like the Green Knight being virtually unkillable. The adventuring knights themselves were a bit more mundane... usually. This works well for a High Fantasy game. You'll see a similar situation in Lord of the Rings, which again I'd call High Fantasy.

    When you put the powerful wizardry in the hands of players, it tends to make the world feel a bit less mysterious and magical. Ergo, design the High Fantasy rules so that while players get some magic, they're still generally just mortals tackling... whatever the magical threats may be. It should make the story more compelling. Mundane heroes facing down evil sorcerers and beasts of legend? That's my jam.

    I do think it would be awesome to have more high fantasy themes and threats available.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment