A few questions regarding translations popping up here and via email, so I thought I'd share the state of things in...

A few questions regarding translations popping up here and via email, so I thought I'd share the state of things in terms of licensing, etc.

Here is what I am thinking currently. These plans are highly subject to change.

The full text of the Ironsworn core rulebook and assets will be licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike. This means it can be translated, modified, and shared.

An SRD will be licensed under Creative Commons attribution. This is a do-as-you-like license. The SRD will be mechanics, character creation, moves, and a subset of oracles. I haven't settled on a format for the SRD yet, and it's probably a little ways out.

I don't want to manage translation projects, as that's not really my bailiwick, and anyone who wants to translate would have the decision of whether to translate the SRD or the complete book. The latter is 70K words, and there's some obvious considerations in terms of presentation. Even if I shared source files, translation will break the fiddly layout and would require someone with some layout chops to deal with in anything but raw text form. Also, the fonts are licensed and not shareable.

Would I take translated text from someone and recreate the core book? It's possible, but I'd have to be convinced there's an audience for it (I'm looking at you Brazil). It'd be a lot of work.

So, I'd mostly advise folks who are interested in translating to wait-and-see for now. I'd be thrilled to see translations, but I would hate for anyone to waste their valuable time on something that isn't particularly in demand.

We're about a month away from the core rulebook PDF being finalized (dependent on the completion of the print proofing process, which is taking longer than I expected).

That's my thinking for now. Input is welcome.

Comments

  1. Problems with print? You can PM or email me if you have issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jacob Ross. Not really, other than it just taking almost 3 weeks for the first proof to move into production, which was longer than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look at Brazil, we look back. It's a project I'd like to do in the following months (after I finish a little thing in English that I intend to crowdfund soon).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawn Tomkin That shouldn't happen. I've never had it spend more than like 5 days. But maybe this is because your account is new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, Jacob Ross. I am inherently untrustworthy. I am told the file tripped their "this is taking too long" alerts at some point, and it moved things along. Unfortunately, I'll need to move back to step one when I update my files. Hopefully just a glitch in the system and additional revs will go faster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, you have to proof a print every time you update the print file, but it is always useful to do a run before you're completely done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment