I've updated the optional Ironsworn Scene Challenge mechanic (chapter 7), and would love it if some folks can roll...
I've updated the optional Ironsworn Scene Challenge mechanic (chapter 7), and would love it if some folks can roll some dice and see how it pans out.
I've made the use of progress tracks more consistent with how they are used elsewhere (bringing ranks into play), and I've added a little bit of detail on resolving a clash of armies using this abstract mechanic.
Give a dangerous and/or formidable scene challenge a try, and let me know how it goes. I might adjust the number of countdown boxes to dial things in.
Feel free to just roll some dice and ignore the fiction, or cry havoc and lead your army onto the field!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U9LuDGoTZkxtTJGHINBqDR8yuJ8xKanX
I've made the use of progress tracks more consistent with how they are used elsewhere (bringing ranks into play), and I've added a little bit of detail on resolving a clash of armies using this abstract mechanic.
Give a dangerous and/or formidable scene challenge a try, and let me know how it goes. I might adjust the number of countdown boxes to dial things in.
Feel free to just roll some dice and ignore the fiction, or cry havoc and lead your army onto the field!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U9LuDGoTZkxtTJGHINBqDR8yuJ8xKanX
Do I spy TImers in my Ironsworn?
ReplyDeleteIt's like peanut butter and chocolate, John Risus
ReplyDeleteNice option!
ReplyDeleteWe encountered a few days ago a similar situation (coop game, two characters leading some supersticious guys to purge the area of a wolfish threat, which revealed to be mainly some raiders wearing wolf skins and skulls).
Maybe we will use this option next time, we are travelling with a small convoy so there will be other opportunities.
Just looking at the changes in this moment. It looks like you extended the timer track from 3 to 4, refined how Face Danger & and Secure an Advantage/Aid your Ally interact, detailed how teamwork works, and made the Progress Tracks variable based on challenge. Did I miss anything?
ReplyDeleteI haven't tried these yet, but they look like solid improvements. An epic challenge seems nearly unwinnable in my mind though. Though, I guess that is rather the point if you are utterly overwhelmed by an enemy.
I've been wanting to get back to Branwhyn so I'll try to do some actual tests for this over the weekend.
That's a fair summary, Jeremiah Wenneker, plus the bit about zooming into a large scale battle. And, yes, short of astounding luck an epic challenge is a bit of a lost cause. Not sure if that's a feature or a bug. Generally, you just won't want to set a scene challenge as epic unless you intend for it to be insurmountable. Even an extreme challenge will likely result in a week hit at best unless the dice are on your side. The sweet spot is dangerous/formidable.
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin, quick question. Under Weak Hit is the minor complication or delay represented by the mark on the countdown track? Or is supposed to be something else? I ask because I feel like adding extra rolls, to deal with a new challenge, breaks up the tension of the scene too much.
ReplyDeleteIt's represented by marking the countdown box, Jeremiah Wenneker. I can probably do a better job connecting the dots there. I'll tweak the wording a bit.
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin. Awesome and thanks for the quick reply.
ReplyDeleteI've wrapped up the Scene Challenge. I test ran it with a pair of characters (Branwhyn & Steiner). It was a Formidable Chase scene and was harder than I was expecting. We finished with a total of 5 progress. Ergo, it would have been 10 on a Dangerous or Troublesome challenge. Securing Advantage and Aiding an Ally are very important. One character exclusives Aided the other who was Facing Danger. In hindsight, I might have done a bit better if the primary chaser had done some Secure Advantages to buff his own Momentum as well. Momentum was /very/ important.
ReplyDeleteA few obvious statements:
-Having Assets to help would have made things easier. In this chase, the Horse for speed or the Hawk or Raven to harry and help with aids would have been really nice.
-The extension from three to four on the Countdown track is good, it gives a little more breadth and opportunity for action. 5 would be too much, it would have made a Formidable challenge too easy and probably would have trivialized Dangerous and Troublesome.
-Scene challenges are harder than a normal challenge of the same difficulty simply because of the countdown clock. Four misses and you are done. Weak Hits on Face Danger are only marginally better.
-Building momentum before and during and if anything more important than in a normal conflict.
While I haven't done much with two characters in play, it seems more important to aid each other in scene challenges than in normal conflicts. Suffice to say, I like the option and think the changes are an improvement. The clarity on Face Danger Weak Hits mentioned in the above post was the only clarity issue I ran up against.
If anyone is interested, the full scene (unedited) can be found below.
docs.google.com - 15 - Chase Scene Test - Unedited
Thanks much, Jeremiah Wenneker. Really appreciate you giving this a go. 4-6 progress on a formidable challenge is about what I would anticipate, leaving the typical resolution as a weak hit. You scored a miss, unfortunately, but I think you had to balance out all those strong hits on Aid Your Ally :).
ReplyDeleteAnd, yeah, scene challenges are typically going to be tougher because the pace is forced by the countdown, taking some control out of the player's hands. I think that's OK because it's meant to be used in dramatic moments, and the weak hit on the progress roll really isn't too dire.
You did a great job weaving in the fiction as always. Cool scene!
Shawn Tomkin, agreed on all accounts. I had a reasonable shot of completion. The dice just didn't fall that way. I think the scene was reasonably representative.
ReplyDeleteUpdated text for the week hit:
ReplyDelete"On a weak hit, you do it and mark progress. But, you also encounter a minor complication or delay. Envision what happens, and mark a countdown box to represent this setback."
Shawn Tomkin, crystal clear.
ReplyDelete