Is there an official quick start for Ironsworn?

Is there an official quick start for Ironsworn? I like the summary Basics chapter - it shows in quick succession a few unique/unique-ish mechanics at play and [very high level] a sketch of the Ironlands - but it doesn't feel like I could actually play a session having only read that, especially if I was unfamiliar with roleplaying (or recent rules frameworks like PbtA, Fate, etc) in the first place.

I also really appreciate how - on top of the stupendous production values for the book itself - the assets/character sheets/move reference are available separately. I've printed off all of them and anticipate referring to them a lot as I'm gaining familiarity with the tools and as I explore more and more options.

I'm going to a gaming meetup tomorrow and will definitely be mentioning Ironsworn if we get to talking RPGs. I know already that I'll be picking up a hardcopy myself when it drops and I have the cash, and it's easy to see myself passing it along even though I haven't played at all yet. As someone who does primarily solo gaming altogether, it's great to see a flexible, accessible and fairly mainstream-worthy product like this! It's also good to know that all the tools for solo work just as well for a more traditional game, too.

Sorry for the ramble. Been reading the book off and on in small doses for a month or so, but not participating in conversation.

Comments

  1. I can only say you should have a "1st Session" like other PbtA systems. Ie. Talking with your friend, envisioning the setting and the starting locations (that you have to create, together), deciding Your World, etc. Collaborating with them creating the characters (all of you, doubly true if you use a rotating GM, this game work well with that idea), trying to form links between them, etc.
    When I read the book, I didn't feel the sensation of "abandonment". I feel it guides well the players in the creation of the world and their characters. But probably this is because I'm pretty into the PbtA games, so probably unconsciously I have background system informations that helped me more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input Nick Carter. Really appreciate it. I don't have a quick start for Ironsworn. I outline some ways to get moving in the book, but if I were to boil things down to the essence and define an approach for jumping in, I would say:

    (assuming group play)

    1) at least one of the players should read Chapter 1, and perhaps the extended play example at the end of Chapter 7, and cover the basic mechanics and setting info with the group.
    2) Everyone gives the moves handout a quick look just to get familiar with how they are organized.
    3) Jump to the character creation summary at the end of chapter 2 to fill out your character sheet and pick assets.
    4) Scan the world chapter and work through the "Your Truths" exercise with other players (assuming you are kicking off a campaign)
    5) Envision an inciting incident, Swear an Iron Vow, and play to see what happens. When a move is triggered, make it. Refer to chapter 3 to get some extra detail on a move when questions come up.

    A quick start is a good idea, but I'm not sure if I'm a good enough writer to pull it off. There's a lot of interlocking mechanics and concepts. I've been accused of making Ironsworn ridiculously over-written, but I tried to structure things in a way so that you can jump in and start playing and then return to the book to answer questions or explore some more depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawn Tomkin If memory serves, Dungeon World has a quick-start guide separate from the core rule book, and it’s not written by the author(s) of DW. Maybe that’s something some of your fans could collaborate on! As I STILL haven’t sat myself down to play Ironsworn yet, I’d not be one to post content for such a guide, but would love to help edit (that’s kinda my forte).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Dan Davis, though that was less of a quick start and more of a guide expanding (or clarifying) the concepts in the main book. Explanations of how to deal with combat, and hard and soft moves for example. I was mindful of the need for that DW guide when I wrote chapter 7, which walks you through the steps of starting a campaign and dives into some detail on gameplay.

    The Ironsworn SRD is going to be a just-the-facts distillation that might kinda sorta function as a quick start.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment