I'm against canon as a concept, since it's just a weird geek sublimation of IP law. Tolkien's own works don't fit well into the concept of "canon" in the first place, so I'd definitely play fast and loose with it.
I’m planning on starting a game using the 5e Adventures in Middle Earth GM book as a setting guideline. The default setting in AiME is the region between the Misty Mountains and Erebor, around five years after the battle of the five armies. There a lot of room to adventure without running into events from the book, but there is the possibility of meeting some famous npcs. The book also has a handful of one sentence quest starters. It’s pretty nice.
Absolutely right.
ReplyDeleteHow would you do it? Would you play out the canon stories or would you create your own, new stories? If the latter, where and when?
Especially losing spirit
ReplyDeleteInteresting notion I'm not sure how a person could progress dynamical (oracles ect) and hope to also follow a preconstructed storyline?
ReplyDeleteI'm against canon as a concept, since it's just a weird geek sublimation of IP law. Tolkien's own works don't fit well into the concept of "canon" in the first place, so I'd definitely play fast and loose with it.
ReplyDeleteI’m planning on starting a game using the 5e Adventures in Middle Earth GM book as a setting guideline. The default setting in AiME is the region between the Misty Mountains and Erebor, around five years after the battle of the five armies. There a lot of room to adventure without running into events from the book, but there is the possibility of meeting some famous npcs. The book also has a handful of one sentence quest starters. It’s pretty nice.
ReplyDelete