Has anyone tried to play a character with the Pretender asset
Has anyone tried to play a character with the Pretender asset ? How did it play out ? How did you "justify" your character having this asset, how did it manifest in the narration and why ?
I'm curious because I have trouble seeing how this asset can fit in a viking-themed fantasy, or even a low fantasy setting in general : characters impersonating others is a pretty specific schtick when you think about it, and I have the impression it would better fit in a setting with intrigue, espionage, mystery, big city and nobility plotting against each other... I don't know, I was a little bit intrigued by the presence of this asset in the game.
I'm curious because I have trouble seeing how this asset can fit in a viking-themed fantasy, or even a low fantasy setting in general : characters impersonating others is a pretty specific schtick when you think about it, and I have the impression it would better fit in a setting with intrigue, espionage, mystery, big city and nobility plotting against each other... I don't know, I was a little bit intrigued by the presence of this asset in the game.
I've attempted to use it, but yeah it's hard to employ. I really like what it does mechanics wise, but the ironlands cares little for pretenders.
ReplyDeleteIt works, if your version of the Ironlands allows it. There isn't a canon Ironlands out there saying there can't be Tricksters; heck, Lodestar has a samurai styled warrior in the cover! Remember you can remove or add assets to fit YOUR version of the Ironlands.
ReplyDeleteIt is, admittedly, pretty niche. I think it would work well for a particular character with a particular background. I pictured it as a wanderer, who uses invented personas to gain influence with people and communities. It is someone who adopts and leaves behind a new persona as easily as a snake shedding its skin. What in their background makes this so easy for them, and why do they prefer it over their own identity? Who are they really?
ReplyDeleteIt would also be cool to give it a supernatural vibe, with your character taking on alternate forms, at least subtly (it actually was originally a ritual). Pair it with the Sway ritual to understand what persona would have the most influence over an NPC.
Shawn Tomkin Yes, I was thinking of tweaking the asset toward a more mystical approach, to have a sort of "malicious spirit" character who takes several shapes and appearances.
ReplyDeleteIn setting of cold, scarcely populated lands, it's hard to give depth to a impersonator character, when people often know each other by face and not that much by name, it's hard to impersonate a "celebrity" since celebrities don't really exist.
True, though the isolation of communities might also lend itself to a pretender character. Everyone knows everyone in their little settlement, but beyond that all they have is your word. If you show up as the representative of a powerful overseer, will they doubt you? Or, perhaps you present yourself as the heir to a powerful lineage, once thought broken? Or, you take on the role of a mystic and influence others through invented auguries. I think the isolation and slow communication between communities could allow such a character to stay one step ahead of things.
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin I used it for Crow, the thief I used for my victorian horror campaign.
ReplyDeleteGranted Crow died on his first Vow because of incredibly bad luck and me not playing a thief the way one usually does :D
Just adding a couple random thoughts. Some of the early Robin hood stories (Earl Flin and a certain cartoon Fox) were both masters of disguise. Dressing as a blind beggar to move about unmolested, a simple huntsman to enter an archery tournament, etc. Pretender is certainly in line for those escapades even though the stories all happened in and around Nottingham. The Pretender asset certainly would cover those kinds of misdirections.
ReplyDeleteThere is also a lot of not-being-what-you-seem-to-be in Arthurian tales, though that is not usually on the part of the protagonists. Usually, the knights are the ones being deceived.