Sharing a solo playtest report for an in-development Ironswornsupplement: Delve. Let me know what you think!
Sharing a solo playtest report for an in-development Ironsworn supplement: Delve. Let me know what you think!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tjjDmWcvqBthE-jR-0jHDUq4opcQpyeL
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tjjDmWcvqBthE-jR-0jHDUq4opcQpyeL
Just looked at the tables, they look fantastic. Great work! Looking forward to read the actual playtest whenever I have a moment!
ReplyDeleteAnd the hits just keep on coming!
ReplyDeleteWish i had the spare time. Looks intriguing.
ReplyDeleteColor me intrigued. The Theme and Domain cards are really inventive. With a larger number, they'd offer some great variety of Dungeon Crawl, and I'm guessing that is your intention. It would have been good to see more engagement the Theme & Domain cards.
ReplyDeleteYou observed it was a bit mundane up front due to the weak hits. For Solo play that is probably less than grand, but in guided play that can be a tension builder if the Storyteller plays it right. That being said, dangers and discoveries offer excitement and opportunities for ingenuity (particularly because the later offers a bonus if leveraged). Giving players (solo or otherwise) opportunities for creativity is never a bad thing.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of this expansion. Cheers.
It was great to read! And I usually find dungeon crawling very boring but in this way it can be actually more engaging than usual!
ReplyDeleteI just thought that Delve can be not only great addition to Ironsworn, but also a great tool for Game Masters to create dungeons and adventures in them in a way that doesn't force GM to draw a plan of the dungeon.
ReplyDeleteI really like the look of all this.
ReplyDeleteThis looks like it has a lot of potential. The combination of Theme and Domain cards is particularly innovative. I would also say that the weak hits don't add enough to the story. I've always thought that every roll should make the conversation advance, and I feel that some of the weak hit options aren't as ... provocative as they could be. Create something that requires a reaction from the PCs.
ReplyDeleteWith this I can finally start playing my gothic horror game. I love the playtest as it is and I know it will be evento better!
ReplyDeleteHere's my feedback!
ReplyDeleteOn the Domain card, maybe I'd add at the bottom that on a 51-100, you refer to the Reveal a Danger move.
I don't like that on the Delve the Depths if you roll a Weak hit and roll well enough on the d% (i.e. 76-80 if you rolled with Edge), you still get the exact same benefit of a Strong hit.
A Weak hit should be a Weak hit, no matter what. It should have an interesting side effect.
I dunno if this play example will appear in the final product, but if so, I'd had art for trackers and stats instead of simply saying : "I mark another progress (+2 now) and take my +1 momentum (+4 now).
The Check your gear move is DOPE! I'd use this all the time, not just in a dungeon. I'll probably port this to DW, it's that good!
I don't like Locate your objective. It's the exact same move as Reach your destination. Actually, I prefer Locate your objective over Reach your destination" but they are essentially the same move. The other thing is that I don't think it is required to mention "Otherwise, Escape the Depths and do what you must to find a path forward." as the trigger for Escape the Depths is quite clear. It is a good reminder but if it's the main reason for creating this new move, I don't think it's worth it.
All and all, I had a very good read. I think it's an interesting supplement and some of it is total genius!
Shawn Tomkin, A friend and I are running a co-op and we were using the Delve playtest rules. We were leaving the delve and rolled Escapes the Depths, we came up with a weak hit. I presume we both suffer the hit, harm, stress, or momentum. Need we share the same hit? Or like in a camp move can the escape affect the characters differently?
ReplyDeleteI know you are still play testing the rules and so I'm not expecting a definitive answer, I just thought I'd pose the question as a food for thought as you are working towards a final draft.
You can certainly choose different outcomes, as long as it makes sense for the situation. The move has the text "You and your allies must each choose one", which hopefully implies that you don't need to choose the same result.
ReplyDeleteOn that note, the third option has changed a bit to this:
"You are delayed, or you face a new complication as you emerge from the depths: Suffer -2 momentum."
The "new complication" implies a narrative cost that would probably impact the group, but maybe not.
In other words, sure :)
Shawn Tomkin awesome, thank you. I clearly missed the "you and your allies must each choose" part. That is how we ended up running it. It is a good rule set and I'm looking forward to its completion. :-)
ReplyDelete