Hi guys.
Hi guys. I`m new here. I have been playing ironsworn by weeks and i really like this game. It is Awesome. But i have some issues with suffer moves. First: the strong hit seems like a weak hit. You must pay some cost to gain health, spirit, etc. And the Weak hit says: Press on. Just that. No cost, no outcome. You can throw yourself from a cliff and: ¨This was nothing guys, im fine! i rolled a weak hit¨. And for last, till i make the face death move i roll 4 times! again, 4 ROLLS! maaaan, for what? I think it is too much. There is no need. This is kinda boring. Pbta game takes other route. Roll less, do more. Because of it pbta games is so fun. Let the dices on the table and tell for your friends some story.
As far as the Suffer Move Strong Hit 'issue', you can take a -1 Momentum for a boost in Health. It's like stopping a moment and regrouping, ointment and bandage up and continue on. The other option is a 'screw this I'm pressing on through the pain!" mentality. Momentum is a resource but it is a quicker fluctuating resource vs Health, Spirit, etc. so it really isn't a negative in my opinion. As for a Weak Suffer Move result, 'pressing on' is not good/bad stat wise but you are able to press on and that in itself is a good thing. So compared to the alternative, a Miss, which is all bad news.
ReplyDeleteAs far as throwing yourself from a cliff, rolls follow the narrative. A shear cliff where you should die, your dead, no roll required. The narrative handles it. A cliff you narrate as sliding/rolling down, sure roll Face Danger / Endure Harm. Fiction first is my response to this.
For Face Death, I have no response as I have no idea how you are rolling 4 times. To me, it is a roll like any other; 1 Action Die vs 2 Challenge Dice...
Hi, Rafael Farner. Thanks for giving Ironsworn a look, and thanks for the feedback.
ReplyDeleteIndeed, Strong Hit on Endure Harm or Test Your Spirit don't completely undo the harm you just suffered. Instead, it gives you a bit of a boost. That's by design, since I don't want to invalidate the outcome that led you here. One big thing to consider, however, is that a strong hit in combat gives you back initiative. This can be huge.
And, yes, a weak hit on either move goes against the typical "no matter what, something happens" ethos that should drive moves. To my mind, the "You're OK for now, you push on. but have suffer the brunt of that trauma" is something happening, and works out pretty well when represented in the fiction, and allows you to resolve the move quickly without any extra fiddly-ness and get on to what happens next. But, I'm willing to be wrong on that count. Would love to hear what others think.
Lastly, John Risus ... what he means by 4 rolls is:
1) Original move
2) Endure Harm (miss)
3) Roll on the Endure Harm Table. Get Face Death.
4) Face Death
Which, yes, is a fair number of rolls but in my experience tends to be both rare and dramatic. It's an escalating series of shit-gets-worse results.
As for jumping off a cliff, note the trigger for the Face Death move, along with the explanatory text on page 94.
"You will make this move when forced to Face Death as a result of a miss on the Endure Harm move, or when you face a physical trauma so horrific that death is the only reasonable outcome. "
If you are doing something which is clearly a deadly outcome, then Face Death right away.
Oh, and I meant to add Rafael Farner I think there's probably a way to just skip those moves if they don't work for you. Just take the harm or stress to your tracks. When you hit 0, and take additional harm or stress, suffer the leftover as -momentum. Then, you either must mark an appropriate debility or Face Death/Face Desolation.
ReplyDeleteIt'd be a fair bit more deadly/dangerous, but that might be the experience you're after?
Shawn Tomkin We have similar thinking about it. I have some ideas for it. I thought something like:
ReplyDeleteIN BRINK OF DOOM when you suffer harm while you have nagative momentum and your health is zero, dont make the endure harm move. Instead you must face death now.
Or could be something less mortal, like:
IN BRINK OF DOOM when you suffer harm while you have nagative momentum and your health is also zero, dont make the endure harm roll. Instead you automatically score a miss.
Shawn Tomkin I'm really anxious to get my physical copy of ironsworn. I hope you success and i want see this game being released here on Brazil.
ReplyDelete