In the Ironsworn tabletop RPG, you are a hero sworn to complete perilous quests in the Ironlands, a dark fantasy...
In the Ironsworn tabletop RPG, you are a hero sworn to complete perilous quests in the Ironlands, a dark fantasy setting. Explore untracked wilds. Form bonds with isolated communities. Fight desperate battles. Swear vows and see them fulfilled—no matter the cost.
Ironsworn is a complete, free game, available now at ironswornrpg.com, or at DriveThruRPG (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/238369/Ironsworn).
THREE WAYS TO PLAY
Guided
One or more players take the role of their characters, while a gamemaster (GM) moderates the session.
Co-Op
You and one or more friends play together to overcome challenges and complete quests. No GM required.
Solo
A GM is not needed. You portray a lone heroic character in a dangerous world. Good luck!
WHAT'S INCLUDED
- Quest-driven mechanics and fast, flexible character creation.
- Story hooks and creative prompts to eliminate game prep and push your adventures forward—with or without a GM.
- A setting guide for the Ironlands, a rugged and treacherous peninsula at the edge of the known world.
- Inspiring tools to customize your setting and fine-tune your game experience.
- Extensive advice, examples and options for exploring the story of your characters and their fateful vows.
WHAT'S NEXT
Ironsworn is still in preview mode as I tidy up minor issues. The PDF is updated weekly with fixes. Print versions of the core book will be available soon.
FIND AN ERROR? REPORT IT!
If you find a typo or other issue, please let me know through the Ironsworn feedback form: https://goo.gl/3xB925.
Awesome! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to getting my teeth into this one. :D
ReplyDeletePossibly a silly question, but why are the page numbers in the middle of the spread?
Congratulations for this new release, Shawn Tomkin! I can't wait to read it. Also, kudos for the graphic aspect of the book. It's just beautiful!
ReplyDeleteCome to me you big beautiful bast... book O.o
ReplyDeleteThanks, as always Shawn Tomkin for doing this. I realize it has been a labor of love, but it is truly a remarkable product IMHO!
Have gone through the new chapter already. Really solid stuff, thank you so much. Going to be really helpful in how to set things up.
ReplyDeleteGreat work, well done!
ReplyDeleteAll, don't forget to download ALL of the new files: the core rulebook, the Moves handout, and the Asset Cards!
ReplyDeleteAlright! Fresh AP inbound!
ReplyDeleteHaven't dug into the previous preview enough yet, but snagging this stat! Thanks, Shawn. (solo gaming altogether is my joint!)
ReplyDeleteBoom! Marvelous! Now I can continue my solo game...
ReplyDeleteGreat excitement, with many many thanks!
ReplyDelete"CREATING A QUEST OUTLINE" nice paragraph.
ReplyDeleteREPRESENTING DIFFICULTY another good paragraph, useful to whom not accustomed with PbtA games. A sort of "Dragon with 16HP" article. Well done.
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin, the new Gameplay in Depth section is a strong addition. The two that particularly stood out to me was the in-depth explanations of the Iron Vows and how multiple can interact and how to lay out loose expectations outlined in the Quest Outline.
ReplyDeleteI know that I'm a latecomer to the project, but it is very rewarding to see topics that we've discussed or talked about becoming part of the books. Be it the name of an asset (Talisman) or the optional rules regarding scene challenges.
Thank you for giving us all the opportunity to be apart of this really wonderful project.
Thanks for the support everyone!
ReplyDeleteMartin Bentley ... re: page numbers in the middle of the spread ... it's because I'm a big idiot. I'll get it flopped next refresh. Thanks for the call-out.
Jeremiah Wenneker .. indeed! There's lots of bits in there that is my pillaging ideas from folks in the community, or formalizing my answers to questions that have come up. Your play reports were HUGELY influential. My original outline for Chapter 7 was much shorter, but I hope the additional detail makes it more useful, particularly to newcomers to narrative and solo roleplaying. Thank you so much!
It really does help. That chapter knocks it out of the park, as someone new to it.
ReplyDeletelove the "gameplay in depth" , that's make everything clear as crystal
ReplyDeleteThat's great to hear, Philippe Tartaise. I had my doubts as to whether it was going to help or just muddy things up.
ReplyDeletethat's permit to better inderstand the way of play, the feeling of the game and permit to clearly understand why and how to deal without hp , CR and other stuff... Clear talk to me as a ideal narrative solo game
ReplyDeleteWorking my way through this for a one-off in a couple of weeks. (Sent a few minor typos in via the form, but man is it looking good!)
ReplyDeleteThanks much Charles Picard! Holler if you have questions, and I appreciate your catches via the feedback form.
ReplyDeleteMaybe you all already know this, but I was so happy to learn this one. Re: the page numbers near the spine issue: it can be solved in Adobe Reader by going to View > Page Display > Show Cover in Two Page View. (So it's not a formatting problem of his, it's just a display oversight.)
ReplyDeleteHey, Richard Robertson. I actually fixed that a few months back. Page numbers are now on the outside edge instead of towards the spine. If you don't have the latest version, you can grab it at ironswornrpg.com, or just hold off until the final release next month.
ReplyDeleteOh, I think I have the latest version, since I discovered it only recently. Anyway, it's a non-issue, as it's adjustable in Adobe Reader, I mean, as long as the odd-numbered pages are on the right side, it's all good.
ReplyDeleteThe way to check is to look at a double-page spread, like the woman in the cloak fighting the bloke with the shield. If the numbers are in the middle, then there is a problem, otherwise not.
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin I just noticed something interesting. The even numbered pages are on the right and the odd numbered are on the left which I've never seen in a book before.
ReplyDeleteHi, Richard Robertson. Yeah, that's a bit of a goof which I didn't catch until I got my print proof. The final version will start page 1 on the content of chapter 1, rather than on the chapter header.
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin To clarify, when the book says, "reroll any dice," do you mean we can roll any one of them or as many as we want including all of them?
ReplyDeleteThe latter is correct. Pick up whatever dice you want to reroll and toss them again. The move glossary in chapter 3 has a notation on this, and I believe I improved the text a bit in the final version.
ReplyDeleteThis is amazing! Looking forward to the dead tree edition and I have already been spreading the word.
ReplyDeleteThanks David Fox! Really appreciate it.
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin Really well done! Just a minor typographical nitpick: You could enable standard ligatures (fi, fl ...) for the body text. Right now they seem to be disabled for some reason in all your documents.
ReplyDelete