I ran a fun game of Ironsworn at the Seven Hills convention.
I ran a fun game of Ironsworn at the Seven Hills convention. Somehow I ended up with a full table of six players, as the Ironsworn headed north to Kraghaal, to save their kin from the horrors that hey had awoken in the deep mine.
The game rattled along just fine with a big table of players. Everyone got into the mechanics and the Moves, with several eager to get their downloads after the session!
I stayed flexible with foe Progress Tracks, using multiple if there were multiple foes, splitting into as many as made sense for managing the fiction of the action. The PCs often got the tracks filled up, but were unable to End The Fight without a Strong Move. Everyone was happy with this, they knew they had to land that last telling blow. The crucial distinction between Strike and Clash soon became evident, especially as I was dishing out Harm on 'Pay the Price'. PCs wanted the Initiative!
Largely for table management (rather than fiction flow) I fell back on 'combat rounds' to ensure everyone got some spotlight time. Strikes first then Clashes, and following up on outcomes as people got Weak or Miss.
The Asset Cards are a signature feature and much loved.
Ironsworn are hard to kill, but managed to bag one with an Extreme foe, and had several down to +0 Health. They were scared.
Our session was about 6 hours, with breaks for lunch and the Convention Raffle.
My gritty fantasy game of choice. More Quests will hit the table over the year and I will share our adventures here.
The game rattled along just fine with a big table of players. Everyone got into the mechanics and the Moves, with several eager to get their downloads after the session!
I stayed flexible with foe Progress Tracks, using multiple if there were multiple foes, splitting into as many as made sense for managing the fiction of the action. The PCs often got the tracks filled up, but were unable to End The Fight without a Strong Move. Everyone was happy with this, they knew they had to land that last telling blow. The crucial distinction between Strike and Clash soon became evident, especially as I was dishing out Harm on 'Pay the Price'. PCs wanted the Initiative!
Largely for table management (rather than fiction flow) I fell back on 'combat rounds' to ensure everyone got some spotlight time. Strikes first then Clashes, and following up on outcomes as people got Weak or Miss.
The Asset Cards are a signature feature and much loved.
Ironsworn are hard to kill, but managed to bag one with an Extreme foe, and had several down to +0 Health. They were scared.
Our session was about 6 hours, with breaks for lunch and the Convention Raffle.
My gritty fantasy game of choice. More Quests will hit the table over the year and I will share our adventures here.
That's awesome Graham Spearing. I may have to adjust my "how many players at the table" caveats.
ReplyDeleteSorry I didn't quite make it for a new printed copy for you this weekend. Probably better to let me catch the typos folks are reporting before you start killing trees anyway :)
One of my personal Ironsworn milestones was standing in the grocery store, reading your first convention report on my phone. It made me smile ear-to-ear and look like a big goof in the middle of a crowded store. I really appreciate your support.
I'm a bit too keen, so have gone to print a Preview 7 with the typos. Love them.
ReplyDelete