I was thinking today and took a pass at some racial Assets for Ironsworn (in a slightly higher fantasy setting).

I was thinking today and took a pass at some racial Assets for Ironsworn (in a slightly higher fantasy setting). Obviously a Racial Asset must be taken at Character creation and not through the Advance move. I also took a shot at a Path Asset I'm calling "Exile," for the character that has committed a crime too terrible to even warrant death. The main feature of Exile is to provide additional benefits to Make Camp since you would no longer be able to Sojourn.

I had a Drizzt-type character in mind when I was thinking of moves for it, which is why I included the exception for allowing Sojourning at towns that you have developed a bond with after being Exiled, the logic being that you've proven your worth to the folk of that place and they're willing to overlook the mark of shame you bear.

I'd love to hear what you guys think about it, and maybe workshop them a touch to make them as good as they can possibly be!

Dwarf
Solid people from under the mountain, dwarves are known for being rock-solid people with strong bonds among their own kind

An Immovable Object
When you Face Danger or Secure an Advantage by refusing to be moved (whether physically or mentally), add +1 and take +1 Momentum on a hit

Kith and Kin
When you Sojourn in a Dwarven community, add +1 and choose one more option on a hit. When you Compel or Forge a Bond with another Dwarf, add +1

Stonecunning
When you Gather Information using Stone or Stonework, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Halfling
Solid and hearty folk of the dales and hollows, Halflings are friendly and dependable.

Underfoot
When you Face Danger or Secure an Advantage using your small size, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit

Halfling Luck
When the Challenge Dice match on a roll, you may reroll them. The second result must stand. If you do this, suffer -1 Spirit.

A Friend to Every Man
When you Compel or Forge a Bond using your natural charm, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elf
A magical and mysterious race from the deep forests of the realm. They live for ages are known for their speed and cleverness

Elvish Alacrity
When you Face Danger or Secure an Advantage using your unnatural speed, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit

An Eternity of Memory
When you Gather Information by searching your memories, envision what you discover. Add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.

One With the Woods
When you Resupply in the Woods or Forest, you gain +1 Supply in addition to any the move would normally provide.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Path - Exile
Considered by many a fate worse than death. Stripped of home, kin, and name you must wander the world alone.

When you gain the Exile Asset you must always treat the Sojourn move as though you had rolled a miss unless you have Forged a Bond with the community since gaining this Asset.

Solace in Solitude
When you Make Camp, add +1 and choose one more option on a hit

I Can Take Care of Myself
When you Make Camp you may choose as an option to suffer -2 Supply to clear 1 condition.

The Kin I Choose
Only a true ally will stand with an exile. When you Test Your Bond with them, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.

Comments

  1. Those are awesome, Justin Gordon!

    Couple of quick thoughts:

    For Halfling Luck, it'd be nice to tie it to something other than challenge dice matches. That way, you wouldn't have to futz with the impact on the match mechanic.

    What about something like:

    ------

    Halfling Luck
    You may reroll any challenge dice which tie your action score. When you do, suffer 1 spirit unless you score a strong hit on the final result.

    -------

    Exile is also very cool. Being able to Sojourn only in places where you have a bond, creating an oasis where you are accepted, is a pretty neat narrative and mechanical element. I worry slightly that it's a bit of a viscous circle, since visiting communities--and the Sojourn move explicitly--give you opportunities to undertake quests. Without that, it might be tougher to establish bonds in the first place. But, there's probably a way to make it a bit less absolute (count a strong hit as as weak hit on Sojourn?). Of course, in the fiction you can visit communities without getting the mechanical benefit, but there might be less motivation to worry about it if you can handle conditions and such in the wilds.

    I have been playing with an "Outcast" path, but don't really have it sorted out. I might take some inspiration from you here :)

    Also, I really like your labels for the abilities. I sort of kick myself for not having something similar, but trying to be clever 3x for every asset was beyond my abilities, and I was bound and determined to fit everything on a card.

    Cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, that can be useful in a "more standard fantasy". Here's an idea that maybe you have no taken in account: adding an Hindrance (sorry, name's a legacy from Savage Worlds) to the Asset, so you can include a 4th point to the list, and let the player to choose 2 points immediately. Hindrances can be very thematic, and are a nice touch to counterbalance additional positive stuff.
    I know, the idea of adding more stuff in the standard "Asset card" can be painful. Still, food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawn Tomkin I like the change to Halfling's luck! In D20 it triggers on a d20 roll of 1, but that was waaaaay too common with a d6 action die, which is why I had originally opted for the match (and applied a penalty so you wouldn't always want to use it). Your solution is way more elegant.

    You may be right about Exile (specifically I Can Take Care of Myself) being a pretty solid way to avoid the quest loop of the game. Making the negative into only a weak hit seems narratively soft to me (being an exile should get you tossed out pretty much everywhere you go). I'm not sure right off hand of how to make it feel right, since I definitely want the player to be encouraged to take on quests and forge bonds to help them overcome their Exile. I'll thinker with it some more.

    Andrea Parducci I experimented with a Hindrance in the Exile asset (making you no longer able to Sojourn is a fairly hefty negative). I love slapping players with Hindrances, since it really makes them dig deep if they want to come out ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justin Gordon Good gawd man! Where do you find the time? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. John Risus If I'm awake I'm thinking about RPGs :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment