It's been suggested that I give more visibility to a custom mechanic I talked about in a comment I wrote recently in...

It's been suggested that I give more visibility to a custom mechanic I talked about in a comment I wrote recently in response to a post.

The idea behind this is a variation to the "Test your bond" move but works strictly on a personal level.

The background is that my character has been sent away and banned from the community he was living in, because of misunderstandings. He doesn't hold a grudge and he keeps on believeing in the bonds he formed and he hopes to still be helpful to the people there, but being forced to travel alone and away from the settlement, it's inevitable that inner monologues and doubts will appear and the strength of the bond might shift up and down with time and ultimately it might even be "cleared".

I'm using a sort of stress track for my bond, instead of being numbered, the states are labeled "Strong", "Weak" and "Fragile".
The bond starts as "Strong" and during every leg of my journey I will do a (custom) "Test your bond" move, signifying the current feelings after my character has spent time rummaging about the bond, with these results:
- on a Strong hit, the bond is "Strong"
- on a Weak hit, the bond is "Weak"
- on a Miss, the bond becomes one step weaker and it is cleared if it goes off below the track.

It needs 3 consecutive misses or 1 weak hit and 2 misses to clear the bond.

This mechanic would work well with concepts like grief and a bond toward someone (or something) inherently lost.
I'm already trying to think how similar mechanics would apply to other emotional and psychological burdens like paranoia, but I'm definitely forcing it now, so let's just leave it at that.

Writing down my game sessions feels like a chore to me so I don't know if I'll be sharing my stories (I'm still only one session in). You'll hear from me if I decide to.

Comments