This is a proposed Asset for my Dark Ages setting in which the realm of Faerie contains many dark and dangerous...


This is a proposed Asset for my Dark Ages setting in which the realm of Faerie contains many dark and dangerous creatures who might bring harm to Mortals.
The setting is influenced by Poul Anderson's novel, The Broken Sword.
The denizens of Faerie are repelled by Iron and this spell can be cast using the dust from a blacksmith's workshop. I'll probably create a version of it using Holy Water too as Christianity has a similar effect.
I've made Faerie Ward quite dangerous to cast, unless you have high Spirit.
I'd probably make Holy Ward be much less dangerous to use - perhaps Endure Stress (1 spirit)
To see some of my Actual Plays in this setting https://igm4u.com/f/ironsworn-actual-play-reports

Comments

  1. I like the idea that it reduces the threat of things that pass through, it fits with what I know of Faerie lore, and I love mechanics that support the fiction. That said, is there a reason not to collapse these down into a single asset just called Ward? (They seem very similar)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin Gordon In the fictional setting, I wanted the Iron to work against Faeries and the Holy Water version to work against pretty much anything, as in the Novel I based it on, the coming of what the author called the White Christ was the main reason why all magic and the power of the Devil too is fading. I also liked the idea of much less backlash risk for priests and true believers but a reliance on Supply for the Holy Water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess as general observations about the text of the move, I would reword the header to say +spirit or +heart (whichever is higher/lower) depending on intent to bring it in line with moves like Endure Harm/Stress.

    The text says that it "Does 1 harm," do you intend that the asset causes you to suffer 1 harm or that it inflicts 1 harm. I would adjust the wording to make the intent clear and bring it in line with other game moves.

    The weak hit specifies that it works on Spells, but not creatures. Do spells have threat levels in your rules, and can harm be inflicted on them (ties into the question above regarding the intent)

    I think personally if it were my asset the additional choices for upgrades would allow it to work on a broader range of creatures or add extra features to the spell (horizontal vs vertical progression) but that's a personal preference and I understand based on your setting why you would not do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Justin Gordon I've re-written them both slightly for clarity as you suggested and removed the bit about the creature not being able to leave. The bit about reducing harm from spells is hopefully clearer now. For me the "Spell" is just a narrrative description of how a creature does you harm, so it is based on the rank of the foe eg. Troublesome, Dangerous, Formidable, Extreme, Epic. I probably should have used "rank" instead of "level".

    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1Vy5mpDIsy7RR_FMfX2U5URop8noOHuLPEunT-RYKREkUeYCBP9ne3ov2otlBgdLbo0MBHhAXKnFH7KZ2c2wFwR6pd8BjSb9jw=s0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good! I think there's a smoother way to word the main effect but it hasn't come to me yet. I'll update if I can think of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment