What do you think of these two Assets... FLAW: COWARDICE & PATH: PRIEST...

What do you think of these two Assets... FLAW: COWARDICE & PATH: PRIEST...

FLAW:COWARDICE
This counts as a new Debility, reducing maximum momentum by 1.
In exchange, when you Face Danger or Suffer Harm when running or riding away or cowering from a threat...

O Runner add +1 and take +1 momentum. (+2 momentum if this endangers an ally or companion)

O Dodger: When you Clash add +1, but do no harm on a weak hit

O Groveler. When you use Compel to grovel and beg for mercy, add +1 and take +1 momentum.

I started thinking about introducing a second character into my solo dark age britain game and looked through the list of people Valgrym had already met. One was a Prior - I decided he went into the Church in order to hide because of his misdeeds and is not a true believer. The idea of an Asset that is a Flaw appealed to me. If you are familiar with the Flashman books by George McDonald Frazier, you'll recognise the character type I was going for.

PATH: PRIEST
@ When you Sojourn in a Christian Community, it counts as though you have a Bond.

O When dealing with Christians, if you Face Danger, Secure an Advantage, or Compel by lying, bluffing, stealing, or cheating, add +1.

O +1 wits when Gather Info (due to either book-learning or confessions)

btw - does anyone have a Word document to make generating the "official-looking" Assets easier ?

Comments

  1. The priest gets a bonus for lying to Christians? There's got to be some great context for that XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cowardice asset is great thematic. I'm not sure it needs to be a debility though, I get the flavor reasoning but I would probably work fine without the hit to momentum reset. It would be solid without it. Regarding the momentum gain, both state you get the momentum regardless of the rolls success. Is this intentional? If so, then you're probably right to make the asset a debility. If not, you might want to add +1 Momentum on a hit.

    Might I suggest naming the second asset False Priest, Faux-Priest, or something similar? I've not read any of the Flashman books but the asset and your description suggest someone a fair bit more nefarious than a normal priest. That aside, it is a solid asset for those who are leveraging the trust inherent in their position to their own gain. It could even be reskinned perhaps for other positions of authority who are on the take. It's good thematic inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremiah Wenneker thanks - I'll make it so the + 1 momentum is normally only on a hit - but the + 2 for endangering an ally is a straight reward for the story element (I'd love to see this develop in group play, in a friendly group, with or without a gm). I'm probably going to stick with the Path being called "Priest" and hope it doesn't offend anyone too much. Although there is a bit of tongue-in-cheek in the description of the features, the bonus is to almost any social interactions that is granted purely by the rank and belief of the faithful - regardless of the belief and motives of the Priest. I'd imagine a good Priest (hopefully the majority) might also have the Devotant or Honor-bound assets while a selfish Priest might just be a well-educated man with no strong beliefs and the rare, "evil" Priest might have the Shadow-kin or Trickster asset (or Cowardice).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed on the +2 for abandoning allies or companions. The better momentum bonus is good motivation to lean into that asset despite the inherent penalty of abandoning someone you're working with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment