Hello, I had a question about the End the Fight move.
Hello, I had a question about the End the Fight move.
How come a strong hit on this move is not rewarded by a bonus, like most of other progress moves are (Reach Your Destination = +1 spirit or +1 to next move, Fulfill Your Vow = experience, etc.) ? Is it because winning the fight is the reward in itself, or is there a mechanical reason behind this ?
How come a strong hit on this move is not rewarded by a bonus, like most of other progress moves are (Reach Your Destination = +1 spirit or +1 to next move, Fulfill Your Vow = experience, etc.) ? Is it because winning the fight is the reward in itself, or is there a mechanical reason behind this ?
Hi, Octave Immarigeon. Thanks for the question. There are some thematic reasons for it. The obvious reward would be some momentum, but fights themselves tend to be "momentum builders" and I prefer to have players expending momentum during the fight and then coming out of the fight a bit worse for wear. It fits the idea of fights being last-resort actions which are something that wears you down, mentally and physically, rather than something that propels you forward.
ReplyDeleteThat said, its entirely possible a fight is going to earn you a milestone if appropriate to your current quest, so that's one other mechanical/narrative reward to consider.
Shawn Tomkin Thanks for the answer ! The more I explore the system and its possibilities, the more I realize how lethal it is, and how combat should really be, as you say, of last-resort. It gives the game a low-fantasy feel – which I love.
ReplyDelete