Ok, I need some clarifications.

Ok, I need some clarifications. I tried to search around here, but Google+ isn't the best place to collect searchable wisdom... :D
Make Camp move
❤ I understand that a single player rolls for the whole party. Let's say he rolls a Strong Hit. Does any character of the party gain 3x choices on the list?
Ie. if I have 3 characters, and the "rolling player" obtain a Strong Hit, do I have up to 9x choices (max 3 for character)?
❤ I see that "Recuperate" and "Partake" have different wording compared to "Relax" and "Focus". Do you mean that if a character choose "Recuperate", ALL the characters in the party regain +1 Health? On the contrary, Relax mentions no "you and any companions", so I suppose that if I choose that one, only my character obtain the Spirit gain.
❤ I don't see limitation in that move, like "you can't choose the same result more than 1 time". So, why I should choose Partake, when Recuperate is obviously better? (no supply loss)

Thanks in advance (and maybe this could deserve a couple of additional explaination lines in the book).

Comments

  1. Well, I read at pag. 2 that "Companion" isn't the same than "Ally". So, I have a partial answer. Still, many doubts remain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See "Companions and Assets" on page 24. The benefits of recuperate and partake apply only to your NPC companion (an asset), not your PC allies. This has been a point of contention a couple of times, so can use some cleaning up.

    This is why the other options don't mention your companions. NPC companions only have a health track, so spirit, momentum, etc. are not a factor for them.

    You can't choose an option more than one time for any move. And, yes, Recuperate is clearly a better choice than Partake. If you want to restore more health, Partake gives you an option for the additional +1 in exchange for -1 supply. So, if you are taking partake you are also typically taking Recuperate. There was some super-important reason I didn't just bundle them together, but I can't recall what it was :)

    Hope that helps! Thanks for flagging the areas of confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the answer. About the "You can't choose an option more than one time for any move", it could be useful to put it at pag. 50, under "Choose..." paragraph. Also, I think I didn't see that statement in the rulebook. If memory serves me right, I think I read it in other PbtA games, but I just did a fast search for "choose" and "list" word in Ironsworn, and I didn't find it (maybe I'm searching for the wrong word, or I totally overlooked it).
    PS: can you tell me more about my 1st ❤ question? Am I reading the ruling correctly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, noted Andrea Parducci and I've already edited that into the glossary. Thanks!

    For your question #1, yes everyone will choose their own options, based on the outcome of the roll. That'll be 3 items for a strong hit, and 1 for a weak hit.

    I don't really look at it as 9 choices--it's just the individual players making their own choices (either 3 or 1) for their character.

    Example:

    Sam is traveling with Frodo. Sam makes the Make Camp move, and rolls a strong hit.

    Sam is pretty battered, so chooses recuperate, partake, and rest. In the fiction, he's whipping up a tasty batch of po-ta-toes. Or, maybe he's just breaking off some bits of Lembis bread. That's +2 health, +1 spirit, and -1 supply. His horse companion (Bill the pony) will also take +2 health.

    Frodo isn't hungry, so chooses recuperate, focus, and prepare. More food for Sam. That's +1 health and +1 momentum. When they break camp, Frodo will add +1 for the Undertake a Journey move.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment