Do you think it's possible to hack pokemon into this?

Do you think it's possible to hack pokemon into this?
I'm a bit high so this is mostly a stream of thought but bear with e :)
games (maybe with path assets) about exploration, collection, and becoming a pokemon master.
progress moves to catch/defeat pokemon.
supply to catch/heal pokemon.
pokemon as assets, extra ticks and abilities for evolutions?
I think it'll be awesome for exploring the pokemon world using pokemon and their abilities mostly through the fiction.
What about battles? Pokemon health (like familiars) but our abilities as trainers?
I guess meaningful battles are relativly easy to hack, but what about wild battles? Or is this game simply not meant to have something that's basically a grind? So most battles will be important plot points (like in the anime) instead of a grind (like in the games).
How would you hack vows into pokemon setting?
Oracles for "wild" battles to see which pokemon you encounter.
Thanks for reading this, hope I won't find out I just wrote nonsense :)

Comments

  1. Mmm... I guess you could swear new vows at every gym you visited (which could be more of a test of worth), and with every Pokemon you caught. You would be using a set of limited vows, though Otherwise, you'd go crazy! Maybe the Pokedex could be a vow tracker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Short answer: yes. That seems very doable.

    Long answer:

    Cubone [Pokemon/Companion] - Health +2
    @ Mother's Skull: When you make a Companion Endure Harm move for Cubone, add +1 and take +1 Momentum on a Hit.
    o Bone Club: When you have Cubone Strike or Clash with Iron and score a strong hit, take +1 momentum as you also knock them back, stun them, or put them off-balance.
    o Bonemerang: Cubone may Strike or Clash at range using Iron instead of Edge.


    Evolving a Pokemon could be handled with a vow, no modification needed. Progress on the vow could be as simple as winning combats or if you envision something more roleplay orientated then earning the pokemon's trust and coming to a greater understanding of its nature could well work as progress on the vow as well. Evolving a Ratta might be trivial while evolving a Magikarp seems like it ought to be Extreme if not Epic. At the end of the Vow you Forge a Bond, again without modification. From there you have Pokemon assets that are dependent upon having a bond, like Bladbound or Banner-Sworn.

    Marowak [Pokemon/Companion] Health +4
    When you mark a bond with your Cubone . . .
    o Fused Skull Mask: When you make a Companion Endure Harm move for Cubone, add +2 and take +1 Momentum on a Hit.
    o Stomping Tantrum: When you Strike and score a miss, you may add +1 if you immediately follow with a Clash.
    o Bone Rush: After Cubone successfully inflicts harm, if you immediately Strike or Clash you may inflict an additional +1 Harm on a hit.

    Trainers could have additional assets to work with specific types of pokemon, ground, dragon, or whatever. As for random battles, Ironsworn handles those just fine. That can happen when you fail a Journey roll or be a potential consequence of any miss really. It would be up to the author to determine which pokemon attacked them, though I suppose an Oracle table could be developed for any given region easily enough.

    The part that would be difficult would be the rock/paper/scissors aspect of the different types. Water pokemon are strong against Fire, etc. I guess you could add a tag with the pokemon's type and just raise or lower the challenge track if it is a favorable matchup or not. A Dangerous Charmander is only Trivial against a Squirtle, for example, but becomes Formidable against Bulbasaur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really great ideas, thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are most welcome.

    One more random note, the evolved pokemon (Marowak in the example above) would still have access to the previous forms abilities. (Cubone in the case above.) I had assumed that in my head but never stated it. The two forms should function as a single big asset once the evolution occurs. Health might stack it might not. I hadn't thought about that.

    Also evolutions might not need to have three additional abilities, otherwise three step evolutions would become cumbersome.

    In any case, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will. I plan on playing ironsworn itself a bit before starting hacking, but anyone should feel free to ping me if they wanna hack this together :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeremiah Wenneker Talk about complete answers! Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Krzysztof Czopek and Thredith Undomiel. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment