Just throwing an idea at the wall, seeing if it sticks.

Just throwing an idea at the wall, seeing if it sticks... Would anyone be interested in a "progressive play" of Ironsworn? You know, like those "progressive parties" people have at Christmas, where groups of friends/neighbors go from house to house, checking out the decorations and having a bit of snack/drink/dinner/drink/snack/caroling/drink/drink...

I'm imagining it as each person in the "party" would handle one segment of a game, like a chapter of a book, then handing it off to the next (assigned) person to continue playing, and so on. I'm imagining having a fairly neutral person roll the character and pick the story setting (maybe a job for Shawn Tomkin !), then a set of people who sign up for the game will roll for "position", and each would have a certain amount of time to come up with their part of the story/game (say, two days?). It could be kept on a shared Google Doc, and it wouldn't have to be done in a set style, so each player could write up the gameplay as they prefer (as long as it's understandable by the next player).

Does this sound kooky? I've never played-by-forum or by-mail, but I'd imagine it'd be a similar feel.

Comments

  1. Did you mean as a series of Solo plays, or each person taking a turn as a GM? I’d try either of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the solo play idea. And we can use the vow system to play one vow (of whatever difficulty) all the way through.

    Online play suffers if its too open ended. A solid vow will help everyone stick to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound kooky, but it the fun way. ;-) I'd be game to give it a try. Two days might be rough, depending on which time zone the next chapter was being written in.

    I second Shawn Tomkin as the one to create the character and maybe write the inciting incident? Someone should also probably shepherd the chapters along. I.E. Be the person who is notified when chapter is finished and notify the next writer that they are good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I'm just coming back to this... rough week of travel, and I'm back on the road again! I agree with Richard Smithson on the use of the vow, and with Jeremiah Wenneker on the timing. I originally said two days just to put a limit in there, but if everyone agrees on a longer period, that'd still be cool. Seems like a week would be a bit much... four days?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Dan Davis project and I don't want to step on his toes. My humble suggestion though would be to formalized a list of who wants to participate, getting Shawn Tomkin's agreement to kick us off, and then putting the writing schedule together.

    $0.02

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeremiah Wenneker seems like a good way to go. I also agree that we should have an organizer whose job it is to move the game from person to person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote Dan as organiser as it's his idea, if he's up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed with Richard Smithson. It's Dan's idea, he should get the right of first refusal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, sorry to come back to this so late! Just finishing a hectic month of travel for work. As I'm just getting back home this weekend, I won't have a ton of time until later next week to even put together an org for this, but sure, I'll take a shot!

    How about this, though: Let's do this for SGAM 2018 (which, I believe, starts Nov. 1)! Yes, multiple players are involved, but each is running their own turn as a solo experience, just with someone else "writing" the previous chapter. I feel it would still count as a solo game.

    If we decide to do that, then that'll give me time to organize everything in prep. We could run it past the end of the month of November (otherwise, only a minimum of 7 players would have a chance, and there's a holiday weekend in the US in the mix, as well). I'm not sure if games have to be FINISHED by Nov. 30 to count for SGAM, though. Anyone? Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dan Davis, doing this as part of SGAM 2018 sounds like a plan. I'm game.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll post something today to try to flesh it out, and to start generating some interest by cross-posting with Lone Wolf for SGAM. Should be fun on a bun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dan Davis SGAM would be a great time to do this and serve as cool advertisement for Ironsworn to boot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment