Ok, I took a crack at social combat moves, mostly just adjusting the fight moves/rules as was suggested by others.

Ok, I took a crack at social combat moves, mostly just adjusting the fight moves/rules as was suggested by others. I haven't play tested them yet. Please feel free to test them out and let me me know if they work.

Comments

  1. This has been on my mind since the last thread... hopefully I can find time to sit down and absorb what you've done here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So RAW an unarmed character only does 1 harm, what does a character need to have to count as "armed" for the purposes of argument? Or is it just that everyone deals 2 harm (persuasion).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul Drury - this might be of interest to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiyomi McFarlane would it be too much to ask for a couple of examples maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justin Gordon On the second page, I have the modified version of that rule. I put someone as "armed" if they are talking to a character that already likes or trusts them (dealing 2 persuasion instead of one). That was the best I could think of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul Drury I'll work on it. It may take me a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kiyomi McFarlane thank you for your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kiyomi McFarlane it’s looking good. I think it needs the same sort of additional section that Shawn Tomkin has for “other moves in combat” - some examples of using Face Danger, Secure an Advantage. Maybe something to suggest when to use these extended rules instead of Compel (which is sort of equivalent to using Battle for combat to provide a single-roll shortcut)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kiyomi McFarlane I think this is a solid addition for those who want the option of social dialogue being more nuanced than either the single move compel or the more extended, but time sensitive, scene challenge.

    Regarding armed and unarmed, I think it is just a matter as appropriate to the fiction. Trust is a kind of weapon after all. I might add to that different levels of knowledge or familiarity of the topic. I'm a reasonable orator but if I were debating Victorian literature, of which I know only a few novels, against my wife, who has a degree in the subject, then I would certainly be considered unarmed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this. Its simple and does the job without changing the way the game plays. Basically, if you know the rules for how to fight, then you know how to talk.
    The more I get comfortable with the rules, the more I like them. This system really hits a sweet spot between story-driven play and crunchiness for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kiyomi McFarlane could you please include your name in the document? I may want to use these rules if I ever create my own stuff and I would like to remember who to properly credit. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment