Translation for other languages:

Translation for other languages:

Hello Shawn Tomkin, how are you?

Let me introduce myself, my name is Rodrigo Marini and I'm a big fan of your work as a game designer. Ironsworn is definitely a fantastic RPG, even more that has aroused many admirers and proving that it is a huge success, especially among us Brazilian fans, both as a final product and also as a source of inspiration for our projects and that allows us to believe and dream in publishing our games.

Shawn, I think a lot of people may have asked that question, but I'm sorry to risk my turn now (Smile). Do you, as the owner and author of Ironsworn, allow the translation of your game into other languages? If so, would it allow me to start organizing an initiative for the translation of the Ironsworn content into Portuguese and in the future would allow the publication of a PDF that would preserve the layout and layout as well as the use of the images of the original material?

First of all, thank you for your attention and look forward to your position. Thank you again.

Comments

  1. Hi, Rodrigo Marini. Thanks for asking. To be honest I am a bit new to all of this, and I've had several queries about translations, and I'm trying to sort out how to deal with it.

    Translations are a bit tough, because a strict translation of the rulebook, assets and handouts is going to require a ton of work. I wouldn't be able to do that work myself, but I also have to be somewhat protective of the source files and the fact that the design of the book and images are not under the Creative Commons licensing.

    I do hope that folks start translating the SRD, because I think that provides the bulk of material needed to play the game, and it offers the lowest barrier to translation. But, I also understand that it's not the same as the main rulebook.

    I would LOVE to have Ironsworn in Portuguese, because the RPG community in Brazil has been so supportive. One of the things on m y current to-do list is to check and see if there are any Brazilian publishers doing translations. That is probably the best path to getting Ironsworn in Portuguese, but I am also open to a fan-led effort if we can sort it out.

    So, sorry I can't be more definitive in my response. I didn't anticipate the interest, and I'm trying to figure things out :). Stay tuned for now. I really would love to make something happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shawn Tomkin, how are you?

    I agree with all the points raised. As an author, having control over the product is very important. I'm glad you're so careful about Ironsworn. So I tried to have this first contact with you to understand exactly what you believe and respect what can and can not be done with the game. Is it now allowed to translate into SDR Portuguese? If so, could you play this project?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Shawn Tomkin, how are you? Sorry to insist on the doubt, but I ended up without your answer. Is it permissible to translate the Ironsworn SDR into Portuguese? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Rodrigo Marini. Sorry I missed your original question. Anyone is free to translate the SRD. One of the advantages of the Google doc format is that you can make a copy, and then edit to create the translation. I am not aware of any Portuguese translations that are currently in progress.

    The text of the full rulebook is also under a license that would permit translation for non-commercial use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rodrigo Marini Você pretende começar um projeto para traduzir Ironsworn?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shawn Tomkin OK no problem. I myself was busy and it was difficult to answer. Well, I'm going to meet the translation group and start the work with him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anderson Silva Isso Anderson. A idéia é desenvolver apenas a tradução do SDR, que foi o documento que o Shawn Tomkin permitiu. Além de mim, tem mais dois amigos que vão trabalhar nesse projeto.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rodrigo Marini Que legal. Tomara que dê tudo certo. Desde já agradeço, pois estou aguardando essa tradução há bastante tempo, vai ajudar bastante.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Valeu Anderson Silva. Fica de olho na comunidade de Rpg Solo no Facebook para novidades.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment