I've finally got most of the details nailed down for the crowd-sourced "progressive" solo play of Ironsworn for...

I've finally got most of the details nailed down for the crowd-sourced "progressive" solo play of Ironsworn for #SGAM2018! FINALLY, right? Sorry.

Anyway, I've got a Google Group set up for this, and a few documents/sheets in Drive shared out to the group. This should cover most of what we'll need to track for the month.

I'd like to see how many people are interested in doing this, so I can kind of feel out how many days we need to set aside per "chapter" of play in the game/story. The original thoughts I saw here were to put a 4-day limit on the play turns, but looking at how many days there are in November, that may not allow for everyone to have a crack at it.

How many people would be up for this? We're talking "I'm in"s, not "That'd be kind of neat"s, here. :)

I'll be opening up the group shortly, though I've still gotta figure that part out now... invites? Maybe I'll ask anyone who wants in to the group to copy the first sentence of a page on the Ironsworn core rules from Shawn Tomkin's site, to keep out those who are just spammers... Or am I just being AR?

Anyway, who's up for it?

Originally shared by Dan Davis

#SGAM2018

Expounding on a previous thread, I'd like to propose a project to be run for Solo Gaming Appreciation Month 2018 (yes, it's a thing!): a crowd-sourced "progressive" solo play of Ironsworn RPG!

For the sake of simplicity and to attract both old hands and new in the Ironsworn community, we will be playing a continuous game set in the Ironlands per the core rulebook. No hocus-pocus, no sci-fi mods, no additional assets outside of Volumes 1 and 2; strictly by-the-book. All useable parts of the game are currently available on either DriveThruRPG or on the ironswornrpg.com website.

You don't have to be a story-based player; if you can post up solid understandable actual play notes, those of us who like to write will likely jump in and flesh out your play turn!

Each person will be assigned a turn in the overall order of players, and will have a maximum of 4 days to post a "chapter" in the story. There will be one overarching Vow to hold the story together, and each player will be responsible for keeping things interesting but still handing a playable situation to the next player in line. Once a player posts their turn, the story "progresses" to the next player's "chapter".

Over the next week I'll be fleshing out the details regarding the who (players' sign-up), what (hoping to get Shawn Tomkin involved to build out a character and maybe the story's inciting incident or some other part of the campaign), where (website or Google Doc for tracking players' schedules, for posting actual plays), when (#SGAM2018 starts November 1), and why (well, I think you just read why above). Then we'll have some time to take ideas from players and nail down more of the details, figure out how much work we should do prior to 11/1.

Here's to a successful campaign! SKOL!
http://ironswornrpg.com

Comments

  1. Pat Perkins You ought to know, I framed most of the docs for the game on your documents, so thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeremiah Wenneker, good to have you on-board! If you and Pat Perkins would like to test the waters, here's the link to Join the group (as a request, to keep the spammers out):
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ironsworn-sgam2018-actual/join

    Anyone else who wishes to join, feel free, but leave a quick note here if you would, so I know who you are. In your request, include the name of the AUTHOR of Ironsworn... kind of like an old-school copy protection system for games (remember those on your old Commodores and Ataris, kids? No? Oh boy...).

    EDIT: Poop, I forgot to add the /join to the URL! Sorry, if you tried, try again please! #oldfartproblems

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to play.

    Erm the google group page says it's invite only, i can't apply to join..?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard Smithson Sorry, I didn't find a better way to do this. You just have to contact me via the link that message provides, and it'll hit a queue and alert me. Then I'll send an invite to you to join. If anyone knows a way to skip that step (but still have the Join queue to keep spammers out), I'm all ears!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to take part in this experiment....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evandro Novel Invite sent, thanks for joining!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dan Davis Thank you! I have recently received my copy of Lodestar and this sounds like a great way to put it to use! November could be a little busy for me (in particular between the 15th and the 25th) but I really hope I will be able to contribute.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment