What does this mean for Ironsworn?

What does this mean for Ironsworn?
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45792349
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45792349

Comments

  1. It's a bummer, for sure. The G+ RPG community is fantastic, and I don't really feel like there's a platform out there that will be as nice and comfortable of a home as it is for me and Ironsworn. Plus, there's a ton of great content and play reports here, soon to be lost (insert the Blade Runner 'tears in the rain' monologue here).

    There's also the issue that any content/questions/etc. posted here from now forward has a very short lifespan, which makes the case for moving soon (instead of waiting out the last few months) pretty compelling. But where? I'm open to suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawn Tomkin Pretty much everyone is having the same conversation today on their G+ communities. Take a look at the Lone Wolf Roleplaying group for some ideas. It'd be easy to lean toward Google Groups, but... yuck. Having spent some time this weekend setting one up for use in tracking our upcoming SGAM2018 shared solo game (YES IT'S STILL A THING!!!), I have to say I'm so not impressed.

    Reddit, MeWe and Dischord are the ones being knocked about the most on the other communities I visit. No matter what, though, you'll want to watch for ways to archive all of the incredible data you have here! If Google doesn't supply something, someone's bound to figure it out with the APIs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Individuals can download their G+ posts (sans photos) using takeout.google.com, so there's GOT to be a way for community "owners" to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I saw that, Shawn Tomkin, congrats!!! I don't know if this might interest anyone, but: G+ RPG Escape Rocket

    ReplyDelete
  5. MeWe seems to be fairly popular over in the Escape Rocket discussions. I have created an account and will take a tour. Whatever I do, I'll just have to accept that the community will drop by about 90% as everyone scatters to the wind.

    I will, however, remind folks that our Discord channel is rocking right along. It's closing on 200 members so pretty active.
    discordapp.com - Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to have an Ironsworn subreddit! Discord's great for socializing and play by posts, but Reddit is a much better place to store assets and hacks. I spend a lot of time on reddit and would be happy to be a mod. I'd create the sub but I don't know how.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm liking what I am seeing in MeWe though it doesn't support my preferred browser sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kiyomi McFarlane yeah me too! Subreddits can be fantastic communities and I find them easier to find older stuff on them.

    I've thought already just making one but would feel better if Shawn Tomkin was involved.

    /r/ironsworn or /r/ironswornrpg are both available.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My inclination at the moment is to wait until the dust settles a bit. Many in the G+ RPG community seem to be heading to MeWe, but I am reluctant to toss my chips into that pile. It's a centralized, for-profit service, and who knows what it'll be a year or two down the road.

    For the moment, let's endeavor to keep this community active and I will be proactive about looking at ways to archive valuable content. I am considering, for example, building a FAQ of common questions and answers yoinked from posts here.

    Regarding Reddit, Kalahan ... I'm not sure if it would be a good choice for the semi-official home of the Ironsworn community (at least for now), but I'm not opposed to someone creating a subreddit. I would not want to take on a moderation role there, because 1) I don't think I'm familiar enough with Reddit culture and practices to take that sort of role and 2) My understanding is that Reddit folks don't like to see publishers/owners/etc. as moderators of their own communities (witness the recent Roll20 drama). If someone created a community I would surely subscribe and participate, but I'd be a bit worried about the level of participation for a niche of a niche game.

    Reddit folks have generally been pretty kind to Ironsworn in the /rpg subreddit. There's a few user names I see pop up consistently to recommend Ironsworn. If any of you are one of those folks, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kalahan Do it! I like plain 'Ironsworn.' No reason to add 'rpg' if there's no competition/alternative meaning. I agree with the sentiment that owners shouldn't be mods. Shawn Tomkin I think you're too modest. Ironsworn definitely has the potential to become as popular as Burning Wheel, Blades in the Dark, Apocalypse World, etc. All of which have active subreddits. Your game hasn't been out long and already has an active community here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!

    I am also supporting the Reddit option when it comes to evacuating. It seems to be solid enough to do the job.

    Yours,
    Deathworks

    ReplyDelete
  12. How about RPG Geek? I first heard about Ironsworn through RPGG’s sister site BoardGameGeek.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you not create your own website with a community forum? I fully admit I'm not up to speed with what can and can't be done. Could your Facebook group be expanded?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lazareth Minnelli ... a hosted forum is a possibility, but they tend to be a bit of a ghost town and lack any potential for cross-pollination with other communities. Forums are still around, and many are quite popular, but the social services have more or less supplanted them these days.

    Facebook wouldn't be my choice for a primary home just because I'm not a big fan of Facebook. Of course, anyone is welcome in the existing Facebook group, and I do keep an eye on things.

    As I said, it's not really an emergency situation. We'll find a home for Ironsworn, I am sure. There's no reason to do what some communities seem to be doing (rushing out of G+ like someone lit it on fire).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shawn Tomkin I don't think there's an issue regarding the media creator being the owner of his/her own subreddit. A massive amount of games and services work with reddit like that. The popular MOBA game Vainglory recently shut down their own forums and made r/vainglorygame their official forums and too many other developers to mention mod their perspective game/product subreddit.

    Its not a problem if you follow "Wheaton's Law" which I'm not exactly worried about in your case Shawn. After all you already moderated the G+ community very well. (Wheaton's Law wasn't being followed by the Roll20 CEO in my opinion)

    So, I've created r/ironsworn and I'm the soul moderator. Sub 1000 members that's something I can perfectly handle on my own but belive we can breach that member count in a couple of months. If you want control over the place later on I'm obviously willing to give you ownership. Even if it's just so you can choose your own moderators but keep a hands off approach on the sub itself.

    Regarding MeWe, I get wanting to hold off putting your chips in a new basket. Personally I have my doubts on the platform. It wants to be a complete social network that uses real names. Something I personally dislike. I like my internet to be a bit anonymous. They also lack a means to sort posts which I miss in G+ (sort by top posts of the last month for example) and decent search functionality. I'm also wondering why the RPG community would want to bet twice on a new experimental and unpopular service...

    to.be - to.be

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree re: MeWe with all above... on the surface it looks like a good place to hang out, but quickly becomes less manageable as you add groups and try to keep up. {sigh...}

    Kalahan Thanks for setting that up. I've subscribed, just in case it becomes the de facto location for the Ironsworn.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Shawn. I agree, I'm not a big fan of Facebook either and would prefer a better home base for just about everything really.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment