And yet more rule questions...Would the hound's Ferocious ability work with ranged attacks?
And yet more rule questions...Would the hound's Ferocious ability work with ranged attacks? I'm inclined to read it as no, but I'm unsure. Also, could the hound's Ferocious be used with the wyvern's Savage? I'm also thinking this would likely not work, since the hound requires the PC to attack and the wyvern's ability requires the wyvern to attack.
Thank you for the updated rules and assets! They're all great. I particularly like the masked asset. Great flavor and concept.
Thank you for the updated rules and assets! They're all great. I particularly like the masked asset. Great flavor and concept.
Joel Britton "alongside" creates a bit of an implication of mixing it up in melee with your dog beside you, and that's generally how I'd handle it. But, if a player defines a situation where they are hanging back to shoot while their dog rushes their foe (thereby distracting them, causing more potential harm, etc.), I'd go with it. But, as a GM, I'd be inclined to lay the hurt down on that dog on a miss.
ReplyDeleteWith the wyvern you are summoning it to Strike for you, so it's a slight bit of a stretch, but again -- if the idea is that the dog is in the mix, I'd allow it.
In either case, it really comes down to the situation, how you are depicting/envisioning the positioning, etc. Stacking those abilities is far from a game-breaker, and PC's will tend to start to be careful with their companions and avoid putting them in situation where the obvious outcome of a move is to lay the hurt on them. The book says that a 1 on the action die should involve the companion in the outcome, but that's not the only time you'd do it -- especially if the PC is clearly putting the companion in harm's way.
Same thing for GM-less play. Just be mindful of the situation and let the mechanics flow from that.
Does that help?
And you're welcome! The masked asset is one I really like too, and it was inspired by Jeremiah Wenneker's play reports.
I would say that the ferocious Hound could be used at range, like a Hunter's pet in World of Warcraft. The idea that it's tanking the hits for you to let you line up a better shot. I would definitely agree with Shawn Tomkin though that on a miss/weak hit that the dog would get hurt.
ReplyDeleteThose are great responses. That helps me envision what's going on in those cases, and how to rule on the results and companions taking hits. Thanks!
ReplyDelete