I wanted a bit of clarification to make sure I'm running things right.
I wanted a bit of clarification to make sure I'm running things right. The way I'm reading it, in combat every strong hit gives the PC initiative. Every weak hit or miss makes them lose initiative. Is this true?
I'm also wondering about ranged vs. melee combat. Would you allow PCs to use whichever weapons/stats they want, or would it be restricted by narrative? E.g., an archer might start at range attacking with edge, but a pay the price result could mean enemies closing to melee range, and the archer would have to switch to melee weapons or face danger to move away. Or would you say the archer can continue making ranged attacks against an enemy using melee?
I'm also wondering about ranged vs. melee combat. Would you allow PCs to use whichever weapons/stats they want, or would it be restricted by narrative? E.g., an archer might start at range attacking with edge, but a pay the price result could mean enemies closing to melee range, and the archer would have to switch to melee weapons or face danger to move away. Or would you say the archer can continue making ranged attacks against an enemy using melee?
📍
ReplyDeleteYes, every strong hit gives you initiative. This applies even to suffer moves, as the book notes:
ReplyDelete"If you make a suffer move and score a strong hit, you may take or retain initiative—even if you scored a weak hit or miss on the preceding move. However, this opportunity does not overrule the fiction of the moment. If you are out of action and Face Death, you aren’t likely to come springing back into the fight. If you do score a strong hit on a suffer move, consider what happens next and the moves you may make in the context of the situation."
For your 2nd question, look to your fictional situation. This example you provide is perfect:
"E.g., an archer might start at range attacking with edge, but a pay the price result could mean enemies closing to melee range, and the archer would have to switch to melee weapons or face danger to move away. "
If you have an archery-focused character, it can be a lot of fun to envision the fight and how you stay (or not) at range. As you note, It also gives you another outcome to leverage when you Pay the Price.
There's some wiggle room, obviously, depending on how you want to portray the fight and combat archery in general. Movie Legolas was pretty good with bows at melee range ;). I tend to, as you suggest, force melee when someone gets close enough to start stabbing me, and use Face Danger or Secure an Advantage to get back into a firing position.
The inverse can be true as well. If I'm facing off against an archer in good position, and I want to close to melee range, I might need to Face Danger or Secure an Advantage to close the distance.
Ok, excellent. I think I'm starting to get a feel for the intricacies of the rules. Thank you so much for all your answers!
ReplyDeleteDo you lose initiative on a weak hit or miss?
ReplyDeleteThe move will usually tell you when you lose initiative. But yes, in general, you lose initiative on a weak hit or miss.
ReplyDelete+1 for Austin Diaz's answer. Combat moves will give you an explicit outcome for initiative. Otherwise, you lose it on a miss or weak hit, and take or keep it on a strong hit.
ReplyDeleteThe exception is the Turn the Tide move, which let's you steal initiative.