Hello there !
Hello there !
I just got the game this week, I heard about it via the youtube channel of +Julien Pouard. I understood there will maybe be a french translation, so I'm waiting a little bit to order an hardbook...
First, I have to say that I don't find this game good... good is not the right word. I find it SPLENDID. It work very well and and combines elegance and simplicity. And so i wanted to say "well done and thank you!" to Shawn Tomkin for this.
Before leaving to keep on my current game, I would like to ask 6 questions about the rules, still unsolve for me :
- what is the base damage for a dagger ? (a knife is 1 for me, and dagger 2 since it is meant to kill, but was it designed that way ?)
- Can I use the asset "BRAWLER" (non deadly weapon) with a staff, since the staff is pictured as a 1harm weapon in "LONG ARM" and so can I use theses 2 assets with a staff ?
- can we use "BLADE BOUND" combined with "DUELIST" ? and does "BLADE BOUND" refers only to "blades" weapons or can we consider that an hammer can be a sentient weapon ?
- Can we have many "talismans" ?
- On a semi-random draft. What happen if we have drawn a asset that have a specific requirement ? (example : Ritualist)
-Why is there no "SLING" weapon ? :'(
I wanted to be the 600 th member... to bad...
Bye
I just got the game this week, I heard about it via the youtube channel of +Julien Pouard. I understood there will maybe be a french translation, so I'm waiting a little bit to order an hardbook...
First, I have to say that I don't find this game good... good is not the right word. I find it SPLENDID. It work very well and and combines elegance and simplicity. And so i wanted to say "well done and thank you!" to Shawn Tomkin for this.
Before leaving to keep on my current game, I would like to ask 6 questions about the rules, still unsolve for me :
- what is the base damage for a dagger ? (a knife is 1 for me, and dagger 2 since it is meant to kill, but was it designed that way ?)
- Can I use the asset "BRAWLER" (non deadly weapon) with a staff, since the staff is pictured as a 1harm weapon in "LONG ARM" and so can I use theses 2 assets with a staff ?
- can we use "BLADE BOUND" combined with "DUELIST" ? and does "BLADE BOUND" refers only to "blades" weapons or can we consider that an hammer can be a sentient weapon ?
- Can we have many "talismans" ?
- On a semi-random draft. What happen if we have drawn a asset that have a specific requirement ? (example : Ritualist)
-Why is there no "SLING" weapon ? :'(
I wanted to be the 600 th member... to bad...
Bye
Hey, Geoffrey VENTURINI. Welcome! Shame on not being 600. So close. :)
ReplyDeleteKnife/Dagger is somewhat up to you as appropriate to your character. If your character grabs a knife in desperation in a fight, because he doesn't have access to their usual weapon, it's reasonable to call it simple and give it 1 harm. I wouldn't fret about it, though. The distinction between a knife and dagger can be pretty minor, and if your character typically wields a dagger he's probably a decent knife-fighter. Calling it deadly (2 harm) also works. My tendency to treat knives as deadly.
The problem with combo-ing Brawler/Long-Arm is that the long-arm asset essentially turns your staff into a deadly weapon, which contradicts the trigger for brawler ("if you are unarmed or fighting with a non-deadly weapon...").
Blade Bound + Duelist = Sure!. And, sure, applying it to a hammer would be cool. Perhaps it's something unusual, in that spirits are typically bound to blades, with that character's weapon being an interesting exception.
You can have more than one talisman. I'd avoid getting silly about it, like having someone stroll around with 10 different talismans around their neck, one for every occassion. But, if for example the person performing the ritual decided to make a talisman for each member of the party to help defend against some fearsome foe -- that's certainly fine. Here's the catch, though. Making a single talisman requires performing the ritual, and the person performing the ritual is ramping up the chance for failure with each roll.
I would exclude assets which have that sort of mechanical or narrative trigger from your random draw. Note, however, there are a few (such as Blade-Bound) which are fine because the requirement is to "mark a bond", which can be done as part of your background bonds. Ones to exclude would be Battle-Scarred, Ritualist, Shadow-Kin, Weaponmaster, and Revenant.
Hope that helps! And thanks for the compliments. I really appreciate it.
Hey !
ReplyDeleteThanks for the quick reply !
You've validated what I was thinking, except Long-Arm/Brawler but indeed when I saw that Long-Arm makes you staff deadly, all get naturally in order.
I over enjoyed the explanation about the dagger, it get really in depth in the concept !
You cleverly dodged the "Sling" question ;-) . Anyway, I saw an assets workshop in the group (great idea, ... again ... ). I will try making it one myself when I will have enough "feeling" about how it could work and submit it there to make others refine it.
I'm going batship crazy ('scuse my french) about your game right now.
Thank again.
Hey :) Actually, I added sling to my to-do list. Just forgot to mention it. But, I'd love to see your thoughts on the matter.
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin I vote YES! Totally agree on the sling; it's a simple weapon to create, it fits the setting perfectly. You could even use iron pellets! If you add slings, take a look at this NatGeo article: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/05/ancient-slingshot-lethal-44-magnum-scotland/
ReplyDeleteGood article ! Short and well explained. Thanks +Dan Davis
ReplyDelete