An archive of discussions from the Ironsworn Google+ community, saved for posterity.
I've been tooling around with modified assets for a Witcher.
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
I've been tooling around with modified assets for a Witcher. This is what I've come up with so far and I'd appreciate any feedback, incites, or thoughts the community might have.
Justin Gordon I GMed the Witcher RPG using OHET and Fate Accelerated mechanics, and now I think Ironsworn may serve even better! What I like in this approach is that Witcher is not superhuman and non-Witcher allies should not feel useless.
Justin Gordon, I'm inclined to agree. Witchers or something very much like them drop into Ironsworn quite well. Going in reverse, as Jarosław Daniel is thinking about, using Ironsworn to represent the world of the Witcher would work well until someone wanted to play a sorcerer/sorceress. Maybe more assets are the answer to the question of how to play someone like Phillippa Eilhart or Triss Merigold?
Jeremiah Wenneker maybe some mastermind could do that but for me it appears impossible because in the books the power of mages was almost unlimited, so assets like "take +1 and +1 momentum on the hit" would seem much too weak.
Jarosław Daniel, I'm in the same boat. Even with truly well written assets, an experienced mage's assets would be numerous and would a mess to keep track of. But, barring Mages as PC, Ironsworn would work well. Characters like Dandelion, Dijkstra, Vernon Roache, and even Geralt are all very doable.
Jarosław Daniel I think grabbing the Cast a Spell and Ritual moves from Dungeon World and giving them a light reskinning would go a long way towards doing Magic in Ironsworn
Justin Gordon, Ritual, or something like it, I could see being added if one wanted a stronger magical theme, but Cast a Spell comes with the baggage of Vancian Magic (preparing distinct spells, etc.) and I suspect would need more than a reskinning.
Nice! The Witcher is a world that could be done in Ironsworn pretty well I think!
ReplyDeleteJustin Gordon I GMed the Witcher RPG using OHET and Fate Accelerated mechanics, and now I think Ironsworn may serve even better! What I like in this approach is that Witcher is not superhuman and non-Witcher allies should not feel useless.
ReplyDeleteJustin Gordon, I'm inclined to agree. Witchers or something very much like them drop into Ironsworn quite well. Going in reverse, as Jarosław Daniel is thinking about, using Ironsworn to represent the world of the Witcher would work well until someone wanted to play a sorcerer/sorceress. Maybe more assets are the answer to the question of how to play someone like Phillippa Eilhart or Triss Merigold?
ReplyDeleteJeremiah Wenneker maybe some mastermind could do that but for me it appears impossible because in the books the power of mages was almost unlimited, so assets like "take +1 and +1 momentum on the hit" would seem much too weak.
ReplyDeleteJarosław Daniel, I'm in the same boat. Even with truly well written assets, an experienced mage's assets would be numerous and would a mess to keep track of. But, barring Mages as PC, Ironsworn would work well. Characters like Dandelion, Dijkstra, Vernon Roache, and even Geralt are all very doable.
ReplyDeleteJarosław Daniel I think grabbing the Cast a Spell and Ritual moves from Dungeon World and giving them a light reskinning would go a long way towards doing Magic in Ironsworn
ReplyDeleteJustin Gordon, Ritual, or something like it, I could see being added if one wanted a stronger magical theme, but Cast a Spell comes with the baggage of Vancian Magic (preparing distinct spells, etc.) and I suspect would need more than a reskinning.
ReplyDeleteI did a reskin of Ritual for Ironsworn high magic forever ago here, it never really got a ton of playtesting but it might do what you want it to :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome, I'll have to go digging for it.
ReplyDeleteJeremiah Wenneker got you covered:
ReplyDeleteplus.google.com - I'm at it again with fantasyizing everyone's favorite not quite PbtA game abo...