Out of curiosity, is anyone using Ironsworn paired with the decks and rules for Archipelago?
Out of curiosity, is anyone using Ironsworn paired with the decks and rules for Archipelago? The logical centricity of the evolving map and events/factions/peoples on it seemed perhaps a strong argument in favor of this combination...
I don't think I've seen this particular combo, Nick Carter, but it sounds like a cool idea (though I have only heard of Archipelago, and am not familiar with the rules). If you do hack them together, please share.
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin I'm a bit obsessed with collecting oracle tools, but I'm trying to limit myself so I can actually get things done. The fact that Ironsworn has so much great random content generation built in is a big help on that front! I'll likely still occasionally use GM's Apprentice cards (even just in place of die rolls!) and may occasionally lean on Paizo GameMaster Plot Twist/Flashback cards if stuck for ideas, Fate Deck cards or similar.
ReplyDeleteI want to specifically avoid Mythic particularly because Ironsworn's Momentum reflects Mythic's Chaos Factor somewhat similarly as a mechanic, though with more direct fictional action correlation vs a mere deus ex machina plot escalation mechanic you're left to interpret from a much more abstract basis in Mythic. It's also probably overkill having two minimalist systems competing for control over random events and such. (though I really do need to catch up on Mythic Variations 2 as I understand it provides some much-lauded improvements/streamlining!)
Will definitely share the fruits of any labors I actually manage to undertake!
Ironsworn and Whitehack are my great inspirations right now, and a great deal of that inspiration comes from sketchiness of setting combined with prompts for my own input. It's the same reason (well one of the bigger ones, anyway) Everway has been my favorite RPG since it arrived in 94 or 95. I love flavor without being locked in and "messing up" an author's world when other players fail to see my content as jibing with the original world as written.
When you intentionally leave blanks to be filled in or questions to be answered, I feel much more encouraged as a co-creator. For this, too, I'm grateful. To combine this with a lean, pretty intuitive and not overly-heavy system such as Ironsworn is a feat in itself, and I hope your renown continues to grow and you actually make some bank off your endeavors.