I have posted the first session of my Ironsworn "The Great Pendragon Campaign" at...

I have posted the first session of my Ironsworn "The Great Pendragon Campaign" at https://igm4u.com/f/ironsworn-pendragon-actual-plays

https://igm4u.com/f/ironsworn-pendragon-actual-plays

Comments

  1. Really well done writeup. This campaign maybe of interest to the Lone Wolf community... Lone Wolf Roleplaying

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome news! Do you intend on just updating that same post with links to future pdfs or will you be doing additional posts for each write up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool idea. "Beorn" and "Thane" are both Saxon, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Danish word for Earl is "jarl". Thanks for posting, great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am digging out my old battered 4th edition copy of KAP - are you doing anything specific in relation to the trait system, or are you handling all that within the Ironsworn mechanics?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Per Fischer No - I’m trying to play pure Ironsworn (except for my Domain Asset homebrew), but using “The Great Pendragon Campaign” to give a framework/timeline of events and adventures to work through. Pendragon is a fine game in its own right, but I’m totally hooked on Ironsworn at the moment for mechanics that help a story to unfold, with Oracles that create their own story-telling challenges. For now, I’m happy trying to roleplay how the character behaves without needing Pendragon’s Trait rolls to prompt him to be cowardly or reckless or lustful etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John Risus I'll probably be updating this same Post rather than spamming the G+ group, when I add another session - like today, I've just posted Session 002 onto igm4u.com - Ironsworn Pendragon Actual Plays
    btw - I don't know why it is using the Ironsworn photo for this link instead of the Logres Map, but never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 243 potential posts! I am SO excited!!!! Love the adventure this far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh jeez, now I started messing around with how to work in traits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ronald v Ha, Ronald. Haven't given it any thought, but traits could possibly be handled as a form of vow - the knight's aspiration is to be chaste, fx.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I'm at opposed traits having a value from 1 to 9, the sum of both equalling 10. (Chaste•7/Lustful•3)
    Roll challenge dice vs trait value as per a progress roll.
    Still sorting things with the added result for a weak hit, critical success/fumble (I like the idea of using matched dice), whether to +/- spirit, momentum, or both with some results.
    Using one challenge die would be easier but a bit more swingy than the original method. That would pretty much solve most of my snags though. (No weak hit, critical success = rolling trait score, 10 = fumble)
    I'll probably get distracted by something else before working it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Couldn't help digging out my rulebook and reading through it again - the great Pendragon campaign is just perfect for Ironsworn. I started my own knight as well. Mick Hand could you say a few words about the domain asset and the prosperity/security ratings you use for your manor? Or point to it if you have described it online somewhere? That would be great, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Per Fischer I’ve also added the Domain Asset rules document to igm4u.com - Ironsworn Pendragon Actual Plays

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been trying to read KAP and GPC but my old eyes are glassing over, so I bought - and now am reading Prince Valiant: The Story Telling Game. Glad I did, really enjoying it and much prefer rules lite games.

    ReplyDelete
  15. John Risus If you are playing Ironsworn, there is no need to read the KAP rules at all. If you intend to use the Great Pendragon Campaign as the guide for your Ironsworn sessions, you only need to read a couple of pages at a time (just the year you are playing and maybe read ahead a year).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mick Hand Well I was hoping to do a KAP game online with a group, and as well as a GPC solo run with Ironsworn. After finding Prince Valiant and a couple people interested in doing that online, I am going to run that and eventually do the Ironsworn Solo play through as well (hopefully). Now just to focus on the GPC and getting ready for some Prince Valiant gaming!
    ronald v, Where are you on implementation of Personal Traits by the way? I really think that has legs. Maybe you have the traits as you suggest add up to 10, the trait is one of two challenge die and you roll a second to represent the fickleness of emotion, then try and beat it with the Action Die. A Hit means you ask as you desire or try to beat the opposite Trait? A Weak Hit you have to follow the Trait, but lose Momentum, Time, Supplies, etc. Failure and you act in accordance with it and have to Pay the Price? I don't know just brainstorming and hoping to help you solve this riddle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've posted session 003 of Beorn's adventures in the Great Pendragon campaign - the Adventure of Sword Lake. igm4u.com - Ironsworn Pendragon Actual Plays this one was a lot of fun to play - even though Ironsworn put Beorn through the wringer a bit. He gained very little and suffered a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. John Risus , I've stalled a bit on this.

    Latest I have is opposed trait-pair values are from one to nine each, sum equal to ten.
    Lower values indicate a weak trait and higher values are strong.

    If action is compelled or desired that is opposite the stronger trait, make a check vs the stronger trait as for a progress track.

    A Strong Hit indicates the stronger trait prevails and take plus one Momentum to resulting action, if applicable.

    A Weak Hit indicates indecision.
    Test the weaker trait.
    A Strong Hit here means action is guided by the weaker trait. No other modifiers to any actions.
    A Weak Hit or Miss here means choice of action. (Ask the Oracle, if desired)
    No other modifiers.

    A Miss indicates that the weaker trait prevails and determines action. If tested trait value is seven or less, take minus one momentum.
    If tested trait value is eight or more, take minus one Spirit and Endure Stress.

    If trait values are five or just general guidance is desired, do not use any modifiers to results.

    Do not use modifiers when making a static(?) test vs a trait; to awaken a sleeping maiden, to pull a sword from a stone or such, to cross the Bridge of Death, etc.

    Passions would likely have different modifiers, benefits or consequences than those for traits. I've not delved into this yet.

    A Strong Hit or Miss should "mark experience" as per KAP guidelines to test trait increases during Winter Phase.
    (Perhaps after Sojourn or fulfillment of a vow)

    This has not been tested at all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. After a bit of a gap, I'm back to playing Ironsworn Solo again and find I am still really enjoying it. In fact I've booked to play in an ironsworn group game at an upcoming convention UK Games Expo. For now though, I'm carrying on with the Great Pendragon Campaign using Ironsworn (Solo)... While Thane Beorn is having his adventure in 487, his troops, led by Osric his veteran retainer are having some adventures of their own.
    db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net - db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/campaigns/112704/assets/946111/Ironsworn_Story_OSRIC_001.pdf

    You can find all the actual play reports at https://igm4u.com/f/ironsworn-pendragon-actual-plays

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment