I've run five Ironsworn games over the past few weeks as a GM.
I've run five Ironsworn games over the past few weeks as a GM. They have all been a ton of fun. Most of my playtesting through development was solo and co-op, so it's encouraging to see it working well in guided mode.
In the past, I've been an anxiety-driven GM. The performance/on-the-spot aspects of it mean that I am usually way over-prepping. It becomes a chore rather than fun.
But with Ironsworn? I just show up. At most I have an inciting incident in mind, but usually that just comes out of the introduction of the characters. From there, the mechanical flow and triggers means that story is going to happen, and I can bounce back-and-forth between a traditional GM role and letting the players take more narrative authority. If I'm stuck for how to resolve a move or what happens next, I just turn it back to the players.
Anyway, if you suffer (like me) from GM anxiety and over-prepping, give it a try! It's a pretty freeing experience.
In the past, I've been an anxiety-driven GM. The performance/on-the-spot aspects of it mean that I am usually way over-prepping. It becomes a chore rather than fun.
But with Ironsworn? I just show up. At most I have an inciting incident in mind, but usually that just comes out of the introduction of the characters. From there, the mechanical flow and triggers means that story is going to happen, and I can bounce back-and-forth between a traditional GM role and letting the players take more narrative authority. If I'm stuck for how to resolve a move or what happens next, I just turn it back to the players.
Anyway, if you suffer (like me) from GM anxiety and over-prepping, give it a try! It's a pretty freeing experience.
I've actually not yet run Ironsworn for a group, just as a player/soloist/coop participant. I feel you on being an anxious GM. I'm really hoping to find some players for an RL game sometime soon; I have been expecting exactly what you're reporting here. :)
ReplyDeleteI've run Ironsworn as a GM now and it definitely resolves over-prepping. I can't even begin to plan where the dice will take us!
ReplyDeleteLivestream?! :-)
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin or if you don’t want the added anxiety of livestream, maybe edit and post to youtube? Or record it and write it up as a summary? I’d be really interested to see the author’s take on Ironsworn.
ReplyDeleteHaha... I meant only in jest, of course. I wouldn't add to anyone's anxiety knowingly. :)
ReplyDeleteLet me add to that after Furnace? Create a situation, some visual images, an outline flow, and then let the game drive you through.
ReplyDeleteI love Ironsworn. X