It's a bit fiddly, but you can TOTALLY use OneNote to keep track of your Ironsworn plays digitally!


It's a bit fiddly, but you can TOTALLY use OneNote to keep track of your Ironsworn plays digitally! I had been working on a fillable version of the character sheet, but got fed up with Acrobat's ancient limitations with regards to checkboxes and such. Pitiful that you can design a perfect fillable sheet in InDesign, then have it beaten back to the Stone Age by Acrobat!

So I came up with this today in OneNote:

Comments

  1. I have a little paperclip PNG I load on top of the PDF in OneNote, but I don't know how to post it for you to download... lemme see if I can put it on my blog or in Google Drive or something!

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1htEoHD0DeYk1oVfIRh7MvjrQZ3RF7Av-/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uaex7a8NbUEYg3BaDwd9zrRuc8lSolD-/view?usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the dots, I use the Marker tool and 3mm width. For the crosses, the Pen tool at 0.5mm. Nice thing about those tools is that they're really easy to "erase" with the Eraser tool. Then I just move the paper clip images up and down as needed (load once, then copy/paste to duplicate, drag them where you want them to be). Text is just system font (Helvetica Neue) for now, as OneNote doesn't like my Marydale or Nodesto fonts. :)

    Oh, and select the PDF image and right-click > Set Picture as Background. That will lock it in place. Otherwise, clicking on it may move the document, upsetting all of your other work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed been doing this for a while now.. Good stuff!
    Even have it working on my note8

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will insist is that OneNote is the best thing Microsoft ever produced. It's a fantastic organization tool.

    I think sharing OneNote files is a bit hinky, right? I'm going to be creating a digital kit of the character sheet, markets, and asset cards, but my previous experience showed this to work pretty well with Google Slides.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shawn Tomkin I'm still on the fence, OneNote vs. Evernote. I think the extremely free-form aspect of OneNote throws me for a loop, but there are some things it's just better for. And yes, sharing OneNote pages/notebooks is not a guaranteed working process. Very odd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got limited experience with Evernote, but I've been using OneNote for RPG organization and writing for years. I used to use Scrivener for writing, but OneNote just works for the way I organize things without any fuss.

    I've got big parts of my life sitting in OneNote. If they ever end-of-life it, I'm in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have Scrivener licenses for both Mac and PC, but darned if I can take the time to learn it. I use it occasionally when I'm writing an article, but my writing style is mostly stream-of-consciousness and Word can handle that just fine.

    OneNote won't go EOL, and if it does, whose to say you have to stop using it? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment